Forlorn Contingencies

spyro1201

Quinn shrieked as she was grabbed up and put in the tree, and then watched wide-eyed as the lizard thing approached. When it spoke to her, she found that it apparently meant no harm, and she managed to squeak out, "I don't know! It's...it's still around here somewhere! I think I'm okay, but...I don't know if I can get down!"

Her heart pounded in her ears. Where in the world was she? And what were these god-awful things around her?

Scuttles perched, perfectly still, right where he was. The only thing that moved was his robe as it fluttered in the slightly breeze. He gazed intently at the newcomer, and the shiny, sharp claw it held in its hand. Its lizard-like appearance reminded him of the creatures that stalked the caverns, or laid in wait for prey to happen by, and to Scuttles, that meant danger. But this one was small, like a baby.

Seizing his opportunity, Scuttles slowly inched downwards, before dropping down and covering the twenty feet between him and the ground in the blink of an eye, landing right on top of the Argonian. He seized the shiny claw (it reflected light and burned his eyes) and stuck onto it with the same natural sticky oil that let him stick to mossy ceiling with just one hand, before wrenching it from Shadow's grasp and pinning him to the ground with two of his back-spines, a warbling growl sounding from his throat.

"Don't worry, I'll find a way to get you down. Hold tight!" - the argonian replied.

Still holding his sword, Shadow kept looking around for that creature to ambush him. Surely enough it did. However it was in a way Shadow did not see coming, thus the creature had a very big window of opportunity to strike. And strike it did. First it jumped out of nowhere from the very tree Quinn was standing on.

In the blink of an eye, the creature got down from the tree, disarmed shadow and was now pining him down on the ground with it's multiple limbs.

"By the Nine Divines...." - Shadow was also caught off guard by the foul and unbearable odor that this arachnid gave off. It smelt of death, or something worse. The argonian had to completely stop breathing through his nostrils, lest he lose his lunch. Amidst of it all, Shadow couldn't help but see a certain curiosity in the creature's eyes.

It was also wearing some kind of robe, a moldy one at that. So could that mean this thing is intelligent? I knew how to disarm him, clearly that would mean it's not just some wild animal, like a Land Dreugh.

"Uh...listen...I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you can probably understand me. Look...I don't want any trouble, okay?" - Shadow tried to reason with his attacker. - "Good gods, I feel dumb right now. Glad my bro isn't around to see this..."

"Hey!" Quinn, suddenly feeling rather brave, jumped down from her perch with a loud "oof!" The drop jarred her knees pretty badly, but she was otherwise all right. Moving over to where the...thing...had the lizard man pinned, she said in an authoritative tone, "You let him go right now!"

Hearing the bright-Scuttler again, Scuttles turned his head towards it, unsurprised to find that it had found a way down. (After all, she was a Scuttler) It was making noises at him. And so was the danger below him. He had the danger secure, though, so he paid attention to the bright-Scuttler and understood...absolutely nothing. Scuttlers weren't vocal communicators, and he couldn't even pick up on tone of voice to figure out what it wanted, but one thing it shared with him was a similar body structure, minus the back-spines, and therefore body language. It was angry at him for something. The finger pointed to the danger, and it made noises at him and stamped its foot again.

It took a moment for him to figure it out, but Scuttler managed to discern the general gist of what it was trying to tell him: to let go. So he withdrew his back-spines and stood upright, folding his spines and tucking them behind his back much like wings. He glanced a spot of moss on the sleeve of his robe and licked it off before looking back at the other two.

Quinn took in a few shaky breaths, staring at the spidery thing for several moments before at last saying, "Er...good...boy?"

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as his assailant let him go, Shadow quickly got up on his feet and retrieved his sword. He went to Quinn's side, sword still in hand.The creature didn't seem hostile, though one could never be sure. In an attempt to avoid further conflict, the argonian didn't hold up his weapon to protect himself and not look hostile himself, but didn't sheath it as well. Shadow then quietly whispered to the elf beside him.

"Be prepared to run..."

He then waited to see what this Land Drew-like creature would do next.

Scuttles stood there and looked blankly at Quinn. His tongue occasionally snapped out to eat some mould on his robe or eat up a bug or two that would crawl on him. Then, without warning, he climbed right back up the tree and stuck himself there, head moving from side to side as he looked around. He investigated his surroundings further before scuttling back to the other two to look upon them curiously. Again, he tried a scuttlers' greeting by rapping his claws on the bark of the tree but neither of them seemed to understand or respond. They seemed to communicate to each-other somehow but Scuttles couldn't figure out how two scuttler-things so different understood the same method of communication. He tried to emulate it and came out with nothing even resembling what he'd heard, gave a frustrated growl and just stared at them some more.

Quinn glanced back and forth between the lizard-like man and the creature. At least the latter could speak her native tongue.

"So...uh...hello," she finally spoke again, shyness returning, "I guess now that we're just...here...together...staring at each other...we could introduce ourselves? Maybe?"

She cleared her throat and stuck out her hand to the lizard man first, "I'm Quinn. Quinn Thorndragon. Pleasure to meet you...I think."

Shadow was dumbfounded by the situation he was in. Oh well, might as well go with the flow...The argonian sheathed his sword on his back and then awkwardly shook the elven woman's hand; he felt some slight relief to see someone that he can talk to in this unknown land.

"My..uh...my name's Shadow...So...who's your...charming friend?" - he said whilst gesturing to Scuttles.