Why oh why...

Jenrai

So, I've built up my little "basic" Oblivion build, and I'm currently playing through it with a couple of new toons (so as not to risk breaking my main guy who I generally use for FCOM rampages and bloodletting in the major cities) However, I've suddenly realised that the training costs are astronomical. Now, being a thorough guy, I generally always train my guys before I level up... but I can't afford it. I mean, I really can't afford it. After crashing through 10 dungeons, and loading my horse down so bad its groins scraping along the floor, I can afford to train twice. At level 6!!!! Something has really ramped up my trainers, and I cannot for the life of me work out what.

As FCOM is currently disabled, the only mods I have installed that I think could be responsible are TIE and COBL. But TIE doesn't seem to be functioning right anyways. (working on that one- probably a minor conflict) ... yet neither mention anything anywhere about ramping up the trainer costs. And with both and/or one or the other disabled, theres no difference. Still astronomical training costs.

Now, I'm not the console cheat type, so I don't want "just type playeraddskillblahbloodyblah..." as an answer... but does anyone know which mod could be guilty of this or, better yet, what .ini (if any) value controls training costs? Just so I can nerf it back down to a somewhat more acheivable level...

Thanks in advance.

Jen.

So, I've built up my little "basic" Oblivion build, and I'm currently playing through it with a couple of new toons (so as not to risk breaking my main guy who I generally use for FCOM rampages and bloodletting in the major cities) However, I've suddenly realised that the training costs are astronomical. Now, being a thorough guy, I generally always train my guys before I level up... but I can't afford it. I mean, I really can't afford it. After crashing through 10 dungeons, and loading my horse down so bad its groins scraping along the floor, I can afford to train twice. At level 6!!!! Something has really ramped up my trainers, and I cannot for the life of me work out what.

As FCOM is currently disabled, the only mods I have installed that I think could be responsible are TIE and COBL. But TIE doesn't seem to be functioning right anyways. (working on that one- probably a minor conflict) ... yet neither mention anything anywhere about ramping up the trainer costs. And with both and/or one or the other disabled, theres no difference. Still astronomical training costs.

Now, I'm not the console cheat type, so I don't want "just type playeraddskillblahbloodyblah..." as an answer... but does anyone know which mod could be guilty of this or, better yet, what .ini (if any) value controls training costs? Just so I can nerf it back down to a somewhat more acheivable level...

Thanks in advance.

Jen.

As you train using trainers, the cost goes up a air bit each time anyway, so personally I don't think it is a mod that is causing it, unless the jump in price is tonnes more? What sort of price did trainers use to be and what are they now?

If you look around, there are some good mods out there that either change the amount of times you can train per level, or change the price to train, or even both.

Here is a good looking mod that simply changes the price of training, without changing the amount of times you can train per level, so it may be what you want http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15033

Hope this helps

Matt

I don't know how expensive so expensive that you can't afford it is, but even in vanilla Oblivion, training is really expensive. It is so expensive that I basically never do any training. I just go out in the field and learn from the school of hard knocks. In Morrowind, training was absolutely essential for reaching the top of a guild, but in Oblivion, it just seems like a luxury that people can live without if they are poor or thrifty.

Thanks for the replies guys.

We're talking a serious jump... 4 to 5k for training abilities at journeyman level... think it used to be something like the level of the ab X 10, so the most you would ever pay was 990g. Thats no biggy for someone who crashes through dungeons as habitually as I do but this... sheesh, it stings. It certainly wasn't hiked up this much when I was levelling my main guy.

I have noticed that some mods do state that if installed incorrectly or whatever they can kinda screw up your trainers, but I think that was more a case of them vanishing or not being able to train you at all. Ah well... s'pose I have a lotta bedtime reading what with all these read me's and deactivating all my mods 1 by 1 to see just where the issue lies. Just hope its not a damn overwrite or something that I'm using. That would suck.

I'll check out that mod matt. Thanks again.

Jen

I don't see why the trainer mods would mess up the trainers in the game; I have used a couple before and they have been alright. Hmm, 4-5K is tonnes of gold, you are right about that. It probabaly is one of your current mods that is causing this.

sorry I can't be much more help than that. Good luck finding the problem; oh and please update me when you have found the problem, I would be interested to know exactly what it was.

Matt

sorry I can't be much more help than that. Good luck finding the problem; oh and please update me when you have found the problem, I would be interested to know exactly what it was.

Matt

Will do mate. And thanks for the mod. That worked. 8)

I'll carry on trying to work out which one did it and then have a play with it in the CS if I can, see if I can figure out what went wong.

It could be one of my own compatability patches I've made I guess, I just don't see how that coulda happened as all I normally do is move a couple of doors and some NPC paths. :wallbash:

Jen