ESRB ratings

antonkr

ESRBs help,but in the end i think if a kid wants to play GTA15 and fly his airplane into a fully destructible twin tower for laughs..there won't be much stopping him.

The first time I found a 747 in San Andreas, guess what I did. :whistling:

Dude... that is wrong

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESRB ratings don't help nowadays... you see 10 year olds buying games like Assassin's Creed 2, which are obviously meant for adults.

The retailers really don't enforce the "adult games for adults" idea either... they're more or less indifferent. For example, I was at a Future Shop the other day, and I saw a 12-13 year old kid buying The Saboteur, an M-rated game.

Of course, children these days are exposed to ample amounts of violence and sexual content... just take a look at what's on daytime television.

The content children are exposed to nowadays is significantly different than, say, 30 years ago.

I also object to the ESRB's bias towards adult content. The ESRB will (on most occasions) only rate a game AO if it has sexual content. Intense, graphic violence is less adult than sexual content? I don't think so.

Hell yeah its retarded i want more nudity in my games :biggrin:

Of course, most video game players being teens these days, certainly they would be bigoted towards ratings of any kind... what child would want a pesky "M" rating to hamper their access to their favorite games?

So in this context, if you were making a serious verdict, you wouldn't excogitate the opinion of non-adults - they are incontestably biased.

ESRB ratings don't help nowadays... you see 10 year olds buying games like Assassin's Creed 2, which are obviously meant for adults.

The retailers really don't enforce the "adult games for adults" idea either... they're more or less indifferent. For example, I was at a Future Shop the other day, and I saw a 12-13 year old kid buying The Saboteur, an M-rated game.

Of course, children these days are exposed to ample amounts of violence and sexual content... just take a look at what's on daytime television.

The content children are exposed to nowadays is significantly different than, say, 30 years ago.

I also object to the ESRB's bias towards adult content. The ESRB will (on most occasions) only rate a game AO if it has sexual content. Intense, graphic violence is less adult than sexual content? I don't think so.

Hell yeah its retarded i want more nudity in my games :biggrin:

Of course, most video game players being teens these days, certainly they would be bigoted towards ratings of any kind... what child would want a pesky "M" rating to hamper their access to their favorite games?

So in this context, if you were making a serious verdict, you wouldn't excogitate the opinion of non-adults - they are incontestably biased.

just because i want the freedom to do things in the game world i cant do in the real world i realise games arent real and i wish they were but thats not gonna happen but that doesnt have anything to do with this but anyway... if i want an m rated game ill get my brother to buy it for me (He's 18 and im usen it to the fullest :biggrin: ) most kids my age just ask their parents to get it for them so they are completely ineffective or i can buy it online

I think there is a very good reason for ratings on a video game, but it's the fault of both the parents and the video game companies for not properly censoring their games. For example, even Bethesda has had some issues regarding their games and people complaining that the T rating was too low. Unfortunately, our modern day society has completely lowered the bar on what is considered acceptable and unacceptable, and teens believe they are mature enough to consider anything acceptable, which, coming recently out of a teenage-hood myself, I believe is a natural inclination that requires curbing, otherwise it will go out of hand. I would be horrified to learn that my son ( who is now almost 2 but let's pretend he is 6 or 7) was playing a game such as GTA or even something like FEAR. As a parent I would have to take extra precautions to censor what my son plays, especially when I play video games myself.

I read an article once written by Stephen King concerning a similar topic, except it was regarding books and videos rather than games. Despite being the "King of Horror" himself, he said he has the "Top Shelf" reserved for movies he would hate to have his kids get his hands on, including even the title "Carrie". I have to agree that there is an age in which the person is mature enough to fully distinguish what is appropriate and inappropriate for HIMSELF without the aid of parental guidance. This is when I would grant my child full control over what he sees and does. I would expect such a maturity from him, particularly around the age of 16 or so. This leads me to another concern of mine; today's society to UNDERESTIMATE our teens. But we keep holding our kids' hands well after college, leaving them in a suspended state of childhood. And yet by legal standards they are expected to maturely watch adult movies and play adult video games without negative consequences.

I can understand censoring content when it comes to 6-7 year olds who haven't yet learned enough of right from wrong, but I disagree with censoring content when it comes to teenagers. My parents bought me M-rated games ever since I was somewhere between 10 and 12 and you don't see me causing trouble in real life. Maybe Everyone/Everyone 10+ should be truly everyone, Teen should be about 8+, and Mature should be between 13+ and 15+. Also, some games aren't getting their deserved ratings. Some examples: Oblivion should still be Teen since the extra violent and sexual content can only be added with mods and one of the very first games I played, when I was about 4 years old, was 11th Hour, which is apparantly an M-rated game.

ESRB ratings are good informational tools for parents who care about what they expose their kids to. Parents can choose to look at the ratings or ignore them. It's their choice. Some youngsters have no problems with mature themes, with clear understanding of the difference between fantasy and reality. The difference between a game and real life ethical issues. Parent's are in the best position to decide what their children can handle. I am not opposed to restricted sales (based on ratings) accordingly. Retailers aren't parents.

I dont see the point what can you see in games that you cant see in real life?

It's not the issue of what you can see in games that you can't see in real life, but the issue of what you can do in games that you can't do in real life. It's the issue of how those things you see in games affect how you see the world and its properties and inhabitants.

Ah.. My friend but unless its fiction you can do it games are supposed to stimulate the mind

Uh, games are fiction...

Anyway, it's not a question of your capability, but of the view that society casts upon "it". If you went out and punched someone in the face, do you think it would be acceptable, morally or authoritatively?