ESRB ratings

antonkr

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Games arent fiction you can go out and punch someone in the face(if your a good runner) my friend ive learned more from video games than school so are they still fiction?

First of all - you've ignored half of my statement. You're focusing on the capability of performing video game tasks in reality, when I've stated that even if you are capable of doing such a task in reality, it is not necessarily acceptable by any standard.

Now let's take a look at this "games aren't fiction" business using a simple explanation...

Video games are an established form of fiction. 95% of video games out there are fiction.

It doesn't matter what degree you've learned from something, it can still be fictitious.

Just because some task in a game can also be performed in reality, it does not make the game non-fictitious.

Let's take a look at one of the many definitions of fiction:

Something invented by the imagination or feigned; specifically: an invented story

Now let's take a look at a definition of non-fiction:

Nonfiction is an account or representation of a subject which is presented as fact.

Now let's take a look at the definition of fact:

The term fact can refer to, depending on context, a detail concerning circumstances past or present, a claim corresponding to objective reality, a provably true concept, or a synonym for reality.

Now let's compare these to a game - Left 4 Dead, for example. The first few moments into the game, it becomes clear that the game is fictitious - the concept of zombies is not fact, it is fiction. The concept of a zombie apocalypse is not fact, it is fiction. Zombies do not exist in reality and are not scientifically viable. The story is not based on any facts.

I could take this definition and apply it to most games, the same results.

I also realize we are going off-topic...

Call of Duty 3: Rated T for teen by the ESRB for the following:

Blood

Language

Violence

Perfect Dark Zero: Rated M for Mature by the ESRB for the following:

Blood

Language

Violence

How does this happen?

Call of Duty is supposed to be simulating realistic combat in a real war.

Perfect Dark is pure fantasy - it takes place in the future, the weapons are high tech, and therefore the violence is not supported by reality.

Of course, I would disagree with that logic. I'm only stating what I think the ESRB uses to rate games.

I find it offensive that a game about real war is somehow okay for younger people. If I had kids, I wouldn't let them play "real war" games. Oblivion, Perfect Dark, Doom, those are fantasy.

Oh, and Oblivion is not rated M for Mature because you can mod it to be gorier. It was actually rated M because a hanging corpse in the Imperial Sewer vampire den was not shown clearly enough to the ratings board in the demo. When they saw a closer shot of it, they changed it to M.

In other words, it's the Zombies that make Oblivion M for Mature. Vanilla Oblivion is not gory at all, except for that.

Perfect Dark is pure fantasy - it takes place in the future, the weapons are high tech, and therefore the violence is not supported by reality.

Of course, I would disagree with that logic. I'm only stating what I think the ESRB uses to rate games.

I find it offensive that a game about real war is somehow okay for younger people. If I had kids, I wouldn't let them play "real war" games. Oblivion, Perfect Dark, Doom, those are fantasy.

Oh, and Oblivion is not rated M for Mature because you can mod it to be gorier. It was actually rated M because a hanging corpse in the Imperial Sewer vampire den was not shown clearly enough to the ratings board in the demo. When they saw a closer shot of it, they changed it to M.

In other words, it's the Zombies that make Oblivion M for Mature. Vanilla Oblivion is not gory at all, except for that.

You forgot the topless females mesh included in the BSA file of vanilla Oblivion (though I think they removed it in later releases of the game).

And going on with what you said, you could argue something like the events of CoD3 are true to a certain extent, but certain things are altered from the reality some. I wouldn't be surprised if a good deal of the characters (probably not all), are fictional.

Whereas, you could argue things like the events in Perfect Dark Zero are possible outcomes of progressing events of today's society. Things that could happen if our current world status doesn't change.

Ah, by the way, why does the ESRB not even bother generally to play the game, but rather base their ratings on a movie they are sent by the gaming company only? I smell something fishy going on here...

You forgot the topless females mesh included in the BSA file of vanilla Oblivion (though I think they removed it in later releases of the game).

And going on with what you said, you could argue something like the events of CoD3 are true to a certain extent, but certain things are altered from the reality some. I wouldn't be surprised if a good deal of the characters (probably not all), are fictional.

Whereas, you could argue things like the events in Perfect Dark Zero are possible outcomes of progressing events of today's society. Things that could happen if our current world status doesn't change.

Ah, by the way, why does the ESRB not even bother generally to play the game, but rather base their ratings on a movie they are sent by the gaming company only? I smell something fishy going on here...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$