ESRB ratings

antonkr

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Balagor. :thanks:

Quick question why are you "adults" playing games when you should have jobs and be working to pay for food and rent im 12 i have a reason to play them i cant get a job thats why it just something to pass the time

(if you were offended sorry just askin questions)

You're absolutely right. In fact, I don't have time. I'm too busy with work. I work from home right now, so I look at this board when I'm taking a break.

I made a thread about that in the General Oblivion section.

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=170065

i get this one alot when online..usually from some 12 year old kid who thinks all adults should put the games away and work their entire miserable life..Thing is.. We work to survive and we survive to enjoy life(hopefully).. I have pretty much worked my ass off since i was 17..and during the years i made sure to play as many games as i could in between and alot of the times,even during work. Age should NEVER limit you to forms of entertainment.. I understand why most kids would question adults about that..simply put.. because they haven't lived long enough to know the answer. When you are old enough to work a full-time job.. i promise you that as an avid gamer,you will spend at least a portion of your paycheck on a video game lol..

Rating a game is an incredibly relative thing. Since you need standards to rate games to, and where do these standards come from? Morals, and I believe we, as a race, haven't come up with constant morals that we all agree and adhere to. This is why rating a game containing nudity +18 is stupid in a society that accepts nudity and shows it on TV, and rating a violent game +13 is also stupid in a society that rejects violence.

Why not just have flags? Like: Contains Nudity, Contains Violence, Contains Strong Language, etc. and let the parents/customers decide? I find myself looking up things like that when searching for movies and games more than the given ratings.

Hehe...to the poster that said that nudity and sexual content is more dangerous than violence because young girls might see it and get so rampant that they get pregnant, I have been seeing nude bodies in art and literature, as well as in real life, since I was a kid, and am now 48 years old and never been pregnant...

And beers to you, Uncle Roe, I work to survive and playing games is an outlet, I too dislike being told by 12 year olds to put my toys away. MY paycheck, my choice!

Robok you do have a sound idea methinks, flags are the most sensible way to help people make informed choices.

Quick question why are you "adults" playing games when you should have jobs and be working to pay for food and rent im 12 i have a reason to play them i cant get a job thats why it just something to pass the time

(if you were offended sorry just askin questions)

Three words, kid.

Leisure Suit Larry.

Call of Duty 3: Rated T for teen by the ESRB for the following:

Blood

Language

Violence

Perfect Dark Zero: Rated M for Mature by the ESRB for the following:

Blood

Language

Violence

Saw this mentioned earlier in the thread, and no one mentioned which one had more, which is a problem with these ESRB ratings. It's not that some blood and violence are present, it's how much there is of it. In a (US) movie, showing a nipple will generally get you an R rating, or at least prevent you going lower than PG-13. Showing a naked woman, taking pains not to show much more than bare breast and ass, will definitely net you an R. Show sex, you get an R, period. Show sex with explicit penetration (or even genital contact of any sort), and you're in NC-17 or X territory.

In short, it's all a matter of degree. Does Perfect Dark have more Blood, Language, and Violence than Call of Duty 3? Heck if I know, I haven't played either one. That's what I would chalk it up to, though, if I were looking at the ratings side by side.

Incidentally I was 12/13 when Doom came out, maybe 13 or 14 when I finally scraped up the cash to register my shareware version, and get the rest of the game. I gave my granddad the money, and he ordered it for me. My parents didn't have a problem with me playing the game, either. In fact, none of my relatives have ever objected to any of the games I've played.

Ah, by the way, why does the ESRB not even bother generally to play the game, but rather base their ratings on a movie they are sent by the gaming company only? I smell something fishy going on here...

Source?

Why not just have flags? Like: Contains Nudity, Contains Violence, Contains Strong Language, etc. and let the parents/customers decide? I find myself looking up things like that when searching for movies and games more than the given ratings.

Along with meters for each to show just how much there is, and in a perfect world, this would be alright. Unfortunately, the world's not perfect. People are, in general, stupid. Even with ESRB ratings, parents will buy "inappropriate" games for their kids--and then yell and scream at the clerk who sold it, even when the clerk had tried to warn them. Other parents will stick to the ratings like they're some sort of gospel, nevermind that their sixteen year-old kid may still have the maturity level of your average six year-old, or that their ten year-old is worldly enough to play Saints Row 2 (much better than GTA, IMO ;)) without being inspired to become a mass-murdering gang leader.

And finally, as to war games making young teens and adults think war is glamorous: the young have thought that since ancient times. Now is no different.

And finally, as to war games making young teens and adults think war is glamorous: the young have thought that since ancient times. Now is no different.

The only reason young people, in whatever time, think it's glamorous to go out and rape and kill people, is because they grew up in an environment that reinforced that idea.

We are smart enough now to analyze ourselves and ignore our instinctive, angry fear of other tribes. We don't need people pushing the same old "fighting is the only answer" line just to make money off kids.

Satisfy peoples' violent instincts with something that isn't real. Therefore when they see something that is, it scares them, gives them pause, makes them think about more than their own lashing out, angry instincts. Teach them to expect the reality of warfare instead of raising them to believe it's not that bad, and maybe they'll be less inclined to support it or participate in it later.

okay first thing i noticed when i came to US about video games is ESRB ratings. I was pretty amazed. I played Grand Theft Auto since i was 7 or 8. What do you think about them?

ESRB suck !

but GTA is not a game for a 7 year old kid, thought.

Europeans in general find nudity natural and violence a taboo and somthing that no should be exposed to.

You are wrong !

here in the U.S. we find violence entertaining and funny

Nudity too lol........

i think esrb ratings (here in austria called usk and pegi) are very important, cuz i have little brothers and i dont want them to play or see games like gta or something..

ok, when i was 10 i also played gta but now i think from another side of it cuz when your young you get a kinda fascinated when you shot down every single person you see..

kids imitate a lotta things they see on tv, especially violence or smth like that...but i think in germany the esrb rating is too severely dealt, nearly every game gets cut (fallout 3 for example) so the only way to get an uncut version is to import it (good luck im livin in austria cuz there arent cut versions of games)

so tu sum it up a bit:

parents should look after their kids so they dont play violent games and the esrb rating warns them and that is good.