Clever Srcipting or God Item?

darksidefish

I have played FO3 to 100% on both the PC and 360. I've played it "clean" and I've cheated the heck out of it, too. I have been creating mods and enhancements, but all of them just feel like more cheats.

I was recently playing thru the game with a new character and promised myself I wouldn't cheat, but quickly became frustrated with my crappy Repair skill. Since I promised that I wouldn't "Player.ModAV" or load up my inventory with a ton of Dean's Electronics books, I came up with a "less guilty" idea...

I have created a small Fix-It shop which contains an anvil that inspires the player to tinker with their equipment. Just being near this anvil boosts your Repair skill so you can combine your items. When you leave the effect radius, your Repair skill returns to normal. The anvil also lets you access the Repair menu for the player - whereby you can "pay yourself" to fix your items.

So, help me decide: is this a God item or - since you have to find the place and travel to it - is it clever scripting?

Also, would anyone be interested in using this MOD? I haven't uploaded anything to the Nexus, yet, but I'd be happy to share.

personally, for good balance I don't think there is enough cost to justify the reward

on one side, all you have to do is walk over to a building

on the other side, you get all your weapons and armors repaired for free

What I would sugest, is haveing some way you have to earn access to the repair shop, like a quest or something.

but thats just my personal opinion, take it or leave it, doesn't matter to me

Thanks for the comments.

I had considered making this a locked place or attaching a quest to it whereby the player has to sacrifice a Dean's Electronics book to get a better boost. You'd have to make the decision to use the skill adjustment permanently or get a bigger boost at the anvil.

The whole concept is geared for lower level characters since it's far too easy to max out your skills during normal game play.

I'll keep working at it, but it sounds like this is more of a "God Item" unless there is balance. Thanks.

You could make a chem that boosts repair skill for a short period.

I made a quest that requires at least 50 science skill to hack into a terminal that has clues. On the off chance that a player without 50 science skill got to that point, I made it possible to buy some liquor that I call "Old School" that gets you tipsy but gives you +30 science skill for 4 minutes. Didn't reckon that it was too big a cheat for only a 4 minute boost to complete the quest stage.

Then again I put an NPC in town that can repair equipment to nearly 100%. Guess that is a bit of a cheat. He does charge though.

I feel that the repair system in Fallout 3 is overdone though. A normal rifle should be able to fire hundreds of rounds without a problem as long as you keep it clean. Instead I can't fire my sniper rifle more than a few times before I have to swipe parts from another rifle to repair it. You should be able to pack a cleaning rod, some rags, solvent and gun oil to keep your weapons in working order without needing to scrounge for parts all the time.

There is also nothing that cannot be repaired, and that just doesn't happen. Sometimes you just got to get new stuff. I think that there should be a chance of destroying the item that you are trying to repair, with the chance of failure greater the lower the repair skill of the player or NPC vendor.

Perhaps making certain items locked and you need to earn the right to repair them. For example I'm just gonna base it off the repair skill but lets say you have 25 repair skill before your activate the anvil. Then you can repair only handguns with the boost. once you get a normal repair skill of 30 then you can repair handguns and smgs with your boost. 40 you can do handguns smg shotguns etc.. and then once you get to 50 you could start to unlock armors.

Perhaps making certain items locked and you need to earn the right to repair them...

Now that's a sweet idea. It would allow me to work with lists in the GECK. I'd prefer to do this without FOSE, and I think this is simple enough to do so. I just want to keep this as vanilla as possible. (I don't really know why, I just do)

I like where this conversation is going. Keep the comments flowing.

Cheers, mates!

You could also make it so that you need a certain amount of repair level before you can activate the anvil as well as kinda do a scavenger hunt for tools etc for unlocking things as well. There's plenty of unused static hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers you could collect the more tools you have the more is unlocked for tinkering.