CTD around oblivion gates

apocalypse1138

If you had just recently installed the game, I'd ask if you have the same problem in or around water, does casting spells cause problems (especially if it is you being hit by a fireball), what your graphics settings are, and what graphics card you have.

But if you've been playing a while and have mods, that adds a few more variables into the list of possible problem causes. I guess up front, do you have any mods that affect the gates directly? Or any that might affect the gates indirectly, for example, by accessing a resource that the gates use, like the shimmering effect or the flames or anything like that?

Any mods that might affect the creatures that spawn from the gates? Did you start using any new mod at the time you noticed the problem? That's the kind of stuff to look at first.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The problem has expanded however.

I now CTD randomly, just found this out while clearing out a random goblin-inhabited cave.

I have been running the same settings (game & mod) for at least 5-6 hours of playtime, so I'm still perfectly clueless as to what is happening.

I do have a rather poor video card, ATI X300, but I've been running on lower settings as to mantain an acceptably smooth framerate.

Edit- I run character manager so I clicked an option to keep error logs, and well... seems that there's quite a number of them, so I picked out the one associated with today and came up with this...

Timestamp:

12/22/2009 11:27:42 PM

Exception type:

OblivionCharacterManager.CharacterManagement.InvalidSaveFileException

Exception of type 'OblivionCharacterManager.CharacterManagement.InvalidSaveFileException' was thrown.

Stack trace:

at OblivionCharacterManager.CharacterManagement.OblivionSave.LoadFile()

at OblivionCharacterManager.CharacterManagement.OblivionCharacter.LoadSaves()

Greatly apreciated if someone could tell me what this means. :P Or perhaps what this means.

Timestamp:

12/22/2009 11:56:06 PM

Exception type:

System.IO.InvalidDataException

The data provided by the server was not in the correct format.

Stack trace:

at OblivionCharacterManager.UpdateInfo.GetUpdateInfo(Int32 timeout)

at OblivionCharacterManager.UpdateForm.checkUpdatesBackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)