Malicious auto-download provided from site.

joeharner

The auto-play video adds are irritating, sure, but I can deal with that. However today I encountered something that was a first for me in all my years browsing the nexus: a file by the name of "update.exe" began downloading without prompt. Needless to say I did not execute this file, and it has been deleted from my machine. However I thought it should be brought to the attention of the staff here at Nexus mods.

I have no evidence as to which ad from your site may have prompted the download. I was browsing your site through several tabs at once, and it's anyone's guess which might have triggered it. I don't know how or if your advertising space is separated across the various sub-sites that make up nexus mods, but if it helps I was browsing FO3 nexus at the time. (nexusmods.com/fallout3).

Just want to say thank you for all the years of service this site has provided. I went ahead and threw in for a month of premium as a thanks and for the additional chance of dodging whatever malware providing add may (just a theory, here) have exploited a flash vulnerability to trigger the download without my input. I hope that you all can look into this and if my assumptions are correct that you can have removed whatever ad provider it was that initiated the download.

Best of luck!

Well, faik nexus uses a third party to provide ads for the site so they're not in direct control of them. They do ask irrc that the ads used on the site aren't autoplaying videos (because everyone hates them) and are safe, so that when people report these ads properly they take actions to have them removed from rotation on their sites.

In order to report an ad properly they'll need a screenshot of the ad in question, the page you were on when you found it and a report filed using the "contact us" link at the bottom of every page. As for the malicious ad in question, I'm sure they'll do what they can to look into it but without the previous stated information it will be hard to impossible for them to do so.

Hopefully removing ads by upgrading to premium service will alleviate the problem for you in the meantime however.

Nope, it was on chrome. I'm sorry I don't have any further information on which tab / add the download came from, I didn't even notice the download had started until it had finished, by which time I'd opened several new tabs.