Why videogames and not movies?

Birrii

Games are just the new kid on the block that some see as an easy target (music / TV / movies have had their time in this particular spotlight). Fear the unknown. Jump to conclusions. Don't think, react hysterically.

Consider the source:

Media organizations benefit (people consume their product more...) from controversy, so stretching the truth beyond recognition, while creating new hot-button topics (and higher ratings / more readers) is the name of the game. Infotainment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_addiction

World of Warcraft is the most infamous game in the world, almost all parents have heard about the addiction. And so many have taken their lives because of the addiction. Maybe that may be a reason for the parents to blame the games.

By the way, those who say that movies have gotten their rant earlier, do you think movies would be blamed today if games were created before movies

(I know it makes no sense, but, well, yeah...)

By the way, those who say that movies have gotten their rant earlier, do you think movies would be blamed today if games were created before movies

Very likely. Consider that Moral Guardians (and the media in general) love to focus on stuff that's new--be it movie or video game. I think games might get a bit more attention and sensationalism though since there are still many adults who simply don't understand them.

Very likely. Consider that Moral Guardians (and the media in general) love to focus on stuff that's new--be it movie or video game. I think games might get a bit more attention and sensationalism though since there are still many adults who simply don't understand them.

I think you got it right.

Some are afraid of what they don´t understand, and many times connect it whit violence.

When i was young, (in the -60`) i was a hippe, had very long hair, and lisnted to Led Zeppelin, etc.

Almost every adult was a little afraid of us hippies, they blamed us for every thing from violence to drug dealing and raping.

And as a matter of fact we was the most peacefull youth culture on earth.

But problem was, that the ones that was afraid of us, did not know us, just like to day.

Many who speaks against gaming do not know this world.

I personally speak a little against wargames, but for other reasons.

I think you got it right.

Some are afraid of what they don´t understand, and many times connect it whit violence.

When i was young, (in the -60`) i was a hippe, had very long hair, and lisnted to Led Zeppelin, etc.

Almost every adult was a little afraid of us hippies, they blamed us for every thing from violence to drug dealing and raping.

And as a matter of fact we was the most peacefull youth culture on earth.

But problem was, that the ones that was afraid of us, did not know us, just like to day.

Many who speaks against gaming do not know this world.

I personally speak a little against wargames, but for other reasons.

With one caveat...

The fear doesn't come from simply performing the act, but to the degree that the act is performed. Most of the part that makes others concerned with listening to rock music, watching movies/TV, or playing games is due to the fact that they see someone doing these activities for several hours a day, and don't understand it.

This aspect of things can be applied to just about any activity. If it is done to excess and is witnessed, it is seen as being a problem, and often rightfully so. The problem is that instead of trying to control the duration of the activity, people simply try to ban it outright, which causes those who like that activity to show more interest in it, making things worse. You ban smoking cigarettes in some clubs, and clubs open specifically to cater to people who smoke, even if it is illegal.

Games are just the new kid on the block that some see as an easy target (music / TV / movies have had their time in this particular spotlight). Fear the unknown. Jump to conclusions. Don't think, react hysterically.

Next stop: 3D everything.

Sometime in 2030, everything in the world is 3D. Video games, movies, the works. Then suddenly, there is a surge in the number of people who are discovered to have major eye health issues. The media and other people go on ahead and blame 3D things on it, not taking into account that there's a global carrot shortage and that a lot of these people with eye issues were found out to be coal miners who couldn't afford eye care.

That's pretty much what's happening with video games today.