Rediculously cumulative loading times with progressing saves.

Vildryn

I've downloaded a fair bit of mods that add custom textures (e.g. MMM, EVE, W40k Tau Compilation, etc) As well as adding a few custom textures of my own for my custom race. The biggest change brought about by a mod I have installed I would say is CUTE as it adds a Hi-Res tex to all female children (although as I lack any other tex mod for human races, it pretty much shows you that I downloaded that mod specifically because it has helmets that actually fit kids, albeit still with a small amount of clipping. If this mod is slowing things down because of the textures, I can easily remove said textures).

But if texture was a problem, I would have thought that loading times would be slow from the start. The game doesn't actually have to read textures until something comes into vicinity using one, I would presume. I wouldn't expect a saved game to record texture data, as that wouldn't be neaded, as the textures could easily be retrieved from the game folders.

The problematic element is most likely some form of data that is stored on game saves. However, I would be happy for any kind of solution, as unrelated to the problem as it may sound.

Loading and unloading mods, once the offending mod is unloaded the file size should stabilize, so it probably isn't that.

And certainly isn't CUTE. ;)

Could you go ahead and post a load order?

In FOMM, right click -> Export load order

Copy/Paste from the resultant text file. This way it shows all mods, not just active ones.

My load order (well, almost all of it, I've added a couple since) can be seen on the about page of the link in my sig. My save files are just under 3MB, but growing slowly. My previous (and first) playthrough had a whole lot more mods loaded, unloaded, some loaded again afterward, including things like Real Time Settler and Placeable Equipment and even patches and DLCs being added. Save files peaked at about 12MB. Never did loading times become unacceptably long. Though I did have some CTD problems (a consistent one in particular, which I painstakingly traced to MMM) and an occasional crash on exit.

Right okies... my load order is... (I'll put in the mod index because it's different from the order so idk if that has a significance.

FILE | INDEX

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fallout3.esm | 00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hairpack.esm | 01

Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow.esm | 02

Mart's Mutant Mod.esm | 03

Enhanced Children.esm | 04

Slower Levelling - Slower.esp | 08

Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow in Fallout.esp | 09

Enhanced Weather - Weather Sounds in Interiors.esp | 0A

Enhanced Weather - Sneak Bonus during Storms.esp | 0B

DarNifiedUIF3.esp | 0C

DUIF3Extras.esp | 0D

AliciasCuteShop.esm | 05

SCC - Talk to Anyone.esp | 0E

FinalFantasy_hairandraces.esp (Which I don't use anymore) | 0F

AliciasCuteShopDoorOverride.esp | 10

Childhood Beginning.esp | 11

Childhood Beginning v3 Tweaks.esp | 12

Sharing and Caring Companions.esm | 06

Weapon - Some Katanas.esp | 13

Tailor Maid.esp | 14

Speed Perk.esp | 15

Max Level 99 V2.esp | 16

Reykjavik.esp | 17

Mart's Mutant Mod.esp | 18

Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Spawns.esp | 19

Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Increased Spawns.esp | 1A

Mart's Mutant Mod - Feral Ghoul Rampage.esp | 1B

Mart's Mutant Mod - Hunting & Looting.esp | 1C

Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp | 1D

Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp | 1E

Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp | 1F

EVE.esp | 20

Kiro NPC.esp (That's a personal mod used for a companion) | 21

Necron Gauss Weapons (BackPack).esp | 22

Tau Ammo.esm | 07

Tau Armor and Weapons And Vendor.esp | 23

Katana.esp | 24

Cat Outfit Only.esp (Don't ask) | 25

Reptile Kid Race.esp (Personal race mod) | 26

PlayerChildVoiceFix.esp | 27

Kiro's Tau Armour.esp (Personal reskin mod) | 28

The esm files are admittedly not in order, but their mod indexes are and now that I look at it, I think I should put the esm files above all the esp files in the order anyways just in case.

3 - Adding multiple mods and removing multiple mods whilst still using an existing game

Point 3 is probably the most likely, because the effects were pretty bad after I installed about 4 mods and removed one mod, as well as temporarily installing a further 2, but after further thought removing them again. :wacko:

Does 7 use a page file? Or have temp folder. Maybe you just need to do a disk defrag or something. And about number 3, could the game be loading slow becasue it is looking for info that is not there anymore?

A disk defrag is a good idea to try out.

I have another suggestion that may or may not help.

Load your game, go to an empty interior cell (player's home works well), wait 3+ days. Save and exit the game. Start the game and load your new save. Is it any quicker? This would force the game to load new data from scratch instead of from cache. It helps when getting crashes in the wasteland when saving, but I don't know if it will help with your load time issue.

A disk defrag is a good idea to try out.

I have another suggestion that may or may not help.

Load your game, go to an empty interior cell (player's home works well), wait 3+ days. Save and exit the game. Start the game and load your new save. Is it any quicker? This would force the game to load new data from scratch instead of from cache. It helps when getting crashes in the wasteland when saving, but I don't know if it will help with your load time issue.

Tried the defrag but no luck.

Just read your save and wait, sounded like a good idea, but unfortunately no luck either.

On another note - Installing mods, then remove them for whatever reason, and continue with the game afterwards, Could that mess up saves and cause these extreme loading times ?

@ SWAT_WaLkAwaY:

I've heard deactivating paging on Vista is not recommended, and as Win 7 is mainly a modification and fix of the Vista system, that may still remain true.

Also, I defrag regularly, and it has no effect.

@ pkleiss:

Gunna give that a try myself in a bit, and I'll post the result.

@ bleedybleed:

I've heard that it can cause a number of problems, mostly crashing. Which is why I suspect such a thing. It depends on what you're doing with the mod I guess. Also, adding/removing mods can often change load orders, which might be a possible problem in theory.

Given the number of mods I installed, removed, and updated during my first playthrough, I really doubt that's it. ;)

IE cache has nothing to do with anything except IE, and some apps which use the IE engine.

You are correct in observing the mod index for esms. FOMM loads esms first period, regardless of position. I like to put them at the top anyway so they're easy to spot. ;)

I know it may not be ideal and it may come from my own bad experience, but I'd say start with disabling MMM. Disable it, do the wait 3 days thing, save. The only other thing I'm thinking about is the weather mod. Also, go ahead and also disable the Final Fantasy thing since you don't use it anymore, might as well not have it loaded.

Or take a more extreme route and start a new game with no mods. Test for a while, long enough to see if the problem crops up without mods. Given your circumstances, this may be the best method.