If you were going to build a PC just for TES?

Teotzlcoatl

If you were going to build a PC specifically for playing TES games, what would it be?

I thinking of building an entire PC just for playing Morrowind (and other TES games, but mostly Morrowind).

Keep in mind that I know next to nothing about computers, so speak in layman terms please :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'd look at this one:

http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.as...DTEMET116107VHP

It's a dual core Athlon, you can add the 2nd gig of RAM for a total of 2gig as well as a geforce 9600 video card for a total of 300 bucks. AND you don't have to build anything since your computer knowledge is low. I'd also think about scrapping the Vista that comes on it and getting XP. It would be nicer than the computer I'm on currently, which runs Oblivion pretty nicely.

-Razorpony

If you were going to build a PC specifically for playing TES games, what would it be?

I thinking of building an entire PC just for playing Morrowind (and other TES games, but mostly Morrowind).

Keep in mind that I know next to nothing about computers, so speak in layman terms please :)

I'd look at this one:

http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.as...DTEMET116107VHP

It's a dual core Athlon, you can add the 2nd gig of RAM for a total of 2gig as well as a geforce 9600 video card for a total of 300 bucks. AND you don't have to build anything since your computer knowledge is low. I'd also think about scrapping the Vista that comes on it and getting XP. It would be nicer than the computer I'm on currently, which runs Oblivion pretty nicely.

-Razorpony

Razorpony's idea is probably the best as you never told us how much money you wanted to spend. That and it is a solid computer for TES type games. However if you were building it for future games outside of the TES engine a lot of games are going to be coming out that use dual core technology and the next step will be quad core. So maybe check newegg.com or similar for a deal on a quad core MLB combo? I am probably going to have mine built soon too (I order the parts with help and then my friends build it) and I will get a quad core. You will be able to keep that rig for at least 5 years only having to probably update the graphics card every two or so.

Don't skimp on the MLB or the PWR supply.

Try to stay away from SLI unless you need 4 monitors (some single cards come with three and four DVI ports)

Stick with SATA or faster.

Don't get to wrapped around CAS and all that in regards to RAM as I have found that it really does not mean that much for the extra price you pay for ram but do get your memory in pairs.

Someone more versed in computers could help you out more and will be able to point out if I am wrong with about anything I have said. But in my experience with gaming this is what has worked for me. SLI i think is a dying thing (or maybe i am wrong) and it seems to have more problems than it is worth and a lot of games do not use it although they might in the future I don't know.

As far as video cards go I would not go for top of the line or even an overclocked card as 6 months later a new one will come out. I have a GeForce 9800 1GB that is actually always waiting for my proc to catch up. It cost me 160$ and blows my old card away Geforce 7900GTOC that cost me 560$... Just sayin :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

first of all amd and ati if you dont want to get poor

then go over to tomshardwareguide.com and look at the benchmarks

after that search together few good components with a nice case at an online shop

???

profit

for 500 bucks i got me the amd phenom x4 955 3.0ghz with 4gigs of ram and an ati hd 4890 from club 3d (supersilent) in a sweet case from lancool with hdd and all the other shizzle on a ultra durable gigabyte mobo and it runs like a charm

actually if you smart you could get this for 400 bucks from ebay and it will run mass effect 2 set to highest details at 1920x1200 without sweating

building a pc together is easy and i suggest you give it a try

there should be more then enough ressources on youtube

i only needed the screwdriver to screw in the mobo

otherwise it was 100% plug and play with my case being

the hardest part is probably the cooler if you get a giant one like i got it to be very silent

but even for that theres tutorials everywhere so if you can do your bike then deffo you can pull this of

time estimate 30-60mins