Expansion pack announced.

buddah

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was actually probably ready to go as soon as DAO was. Maybe just throw in a few things, clean up some stuff or whatever, then wait for everybody to get hooked on, and then through with; DAO before putting out the next piece of candy.

They comment that " a favorite" was going to be coming back, but he refused to say which one it was. Probably either Alistair or Morrigan, I'm betting. Morrigan, I'm HOPING. (I wanna kill that damned spawn of hers! No child support on THIS warden, nope nope! LoL) The irony of it would be that it's the dog

I hope to god its not Alistair. Being forced to have him in DA:O as a party member is quite enough - in fact I would go as far to say that if Alistair is anything more than a cameo appearance in the expansion, I am not buying it. Yeah I know I can get rid of him in the landsmeet, but substituting him for a character I hate even more is not much of an option.

But I have to say that if a party member is coming back in anything more than a cameo, it would have to be Morrigan - she is the only one you can't kill in the game. But on the other hand, if you choose to have Alistair executed at the landsmeet, there is no mention of the actual execution in the epilogue - so they could bring him back in the expansion and say that Eamon bribed the guards and helped him escape.

By the way here is the trailer for the expansion - I am guessing Alistair here is a cameo and would be substituted for Anora if you chose here, but there is no way to know for sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv81oPzccW0

The woman that appears at 1:06 looks quite interesting. "The spirits will watch in envy as the mortals of this realm bow down before me"

Some people have speculated that she is Morrigan's baby, though I doubt it since the baby relies on the player's choices in Origins. Still, I am intrigued as to who she will turn out to be. I didn't see anything about the joining, but someone keeps repeating the joining line "...join us in the shadows where we stand vigilant...".

cool, I found the interview again!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/105/1058656p1.html

thanks for the link to the trailer, I'd forgotten about that! LOL I love that scene where the inferno golem punches that guy into a pancake!

re-reading the article, I goofed. A new character starts at about level 17-20, not what I'd posted about 20-25. sorry about that. It also says "several months after the end of the blight" not "about 8 months" like what I'd posted. Sorry about that also.

yeah, the fact that Alistair shows up so much in the trailer makes me concerned. I really liked some of the comedy aspect that he brought to the game, and he was fun to pick on sometimes. But overall, he was most definitely not one of my favorite characters. I do find it interesting tho that at the end of DAO, Morrigan was seen somewhere around the frostback mountains. Which, if I remember correctly (and definitely correct me if I'm wrong!) isnt that where the shadowspawn come from, thru Orzammar?

And in the interview it says that the blight didnt retreat underground this time, like they had in the past. That something was blocking them.

So I'm wondering, IF Morrigan IS in that area, does she have something to do with them not being able to retreat?

I mean, a lone individual could definitely make it back to Orzammar faster than a hoarde army could. Especially an individual which can turn into animals that can handle terrain better than humanoids can. A spider or bug swarm would have NO troubles crossing mountains, and a wolf can travel long distances on much less amounts of food.

Tho for all I know it could be something a Lot more powerful than a witch of the wilds that is keeping them from crossing back to the fade.

I dont understand, why does everyone hate EA?

Its a bit off topic, but EA is the gaming industry juggernaut - sort of what Microsoft is to operating systems. I wouldn't say I hate them. I know the purpose of every enterprise is to make profit, but EA more often than not does it at the expense of the gaming experience. This in of itself is not the issue, the issue is that they buy up other companies, strip them down and make them create games that fit their vision.

I absolutely loved games that were made by Origin. Wing Commander, Strike Commander, Ultima, Privateer....I played them all. After EA bought them out all those amazing games vanished and EA stripped them down and made them work only on the Ultima Online MMO. EA also bought out another favorite of mine, Westwood (I was never a fan of Blizzard), and now they churn out the strategy games that are basically clones of the older ones with different characters/graphics. When I found out that BioWare was under EA's thumb too I became concerned. I only hope we continue to see more RPGs of the same calibre in the future.

There was also the DRM issue they introduced. I think I first heard about it in C&C 3. Basically the game installed 'rootkit' (is that what's called? I can't remember) deep into the Windows registry so that the activation code for the game would only work 3 times. So if you reformatted the computer 3 times since you installed the game it would no longer work when you installed it for the forth time. Same problem if you try to install it on different computers - the uproar was a while ago so I don't know if I got the details right. But the gist of it was that EA was putting in anti piracy measures that installed programs deep into your system that you couldn't remove. Software pirates eventually hacked and removed this from pirated copies (like they always do) so the only people being penalized were legitimate customers.

@DarkeWolf

Darkspawn don't "come through Orzimmar". They are on the deep roads, which spread all over Thedas. Actually, Orzimmar is the last place where the darkspawn could come through, same for nearby underground areas, as those are more likely to be actively mined/patrolled by the dwarves.

The darkspawn opened a hole under the kokari wilds and came through there. Once the archdemon is dead, darkspawn loose their hive mind coordination thingy and break off. Stronger darkspawn can control small groups, forming warbands, this warbands would then either fight in uncontrolled rage or kidnap as many people as possible and drag them underground with them.

TGBlank- very informative, thanks very much! :) I appreciate the information, it's good to know.

About EAgames- I too am very much NOT a fan of EAg. I can remember all the changes that started happening once EA got hold of Ultima Online. Eventually the game crapped out for the playing experience. Bunches of changes to the rules, increased monthly charges, changes to the game mechanics, supposed improvements that never came, or when they did, really were horrible. Can we say UO3d? Talk about pathetic 3d graphics!

It's not just formatting. If you change something about your system, that counts against the number of times that you can install the software that has that DRM that you were talking about. For instance....the mandatory video card upgrade that I had to perform in order to be able to play DA counts as one mark against me.

The biggest thing that EA had going on recently over the years wasnt their DRM, it was a grayware that they installed that BLOCKED the usage of OTHER applications!

They took it upon themselves to decide what software would, and wouldnt work on the machines that their games were installed in. WITHOUT consent from the buyer.

Crysis had such software installed, and even tho you would uninstall Crysis, that software remained. And as what was mentioned, you pretty much had to format your computer to get rid of it. Thats just one example, they've had several games out that did that.

Needless to say, from now on whenever I install anything from them, I'll do so in a virtual drive. If they install that crap, I can just delete the drive!

Anyway, back on topic. Didnt they say that you could use an old character, even if that character sacrificed themself to destroy the blight?