Installing Oblivion script editor

Glow0910

I have followed the instructions in the read me, however when I try and copy the Data file over to my Oblivion file it tries to overide the one that is already in there which has all of my DLC I just bought from Steam in it, what do I do?

P.S. How do I know it is working?

Edited by Glow0910

No clue what Oblivion Script "Editor" is, never heard of it, so I think you mean Oblivion Script "Extender" a.k.a. OBSE.

As for moving "data" into "Oblivion" and risking the existant "data" to be "replaced" by it and loosing all files inside, this can of course be done, but most OS provide the option of asking you which one you want exactly, "replace" or "merge". On some "replace" even means "merge" and the old files will never be "removed" when selecting it. But this depends solely on the OS you're using and should at best be explained in the window popup asking you.

Your best chance always is to choose "merge" when the option is provided, as this is what you want.

Some further info on OBSE's Data folder ... if you look at the contents of the extracted download's Data folder you'll see that it only contains another folder named OBSE (which contains a single file named obse.ini). If you had never installed OBSE before your game's Data folder wouldn't contain a folder named OBSE, so the copy/paste command would only add the contents of the source Data folder to your game's Data folder (thus creating an OBSE folder and it's contents in your game's Data folder).

If you had a previous version of OBSE installed before your game's Data folder could possibly already contain an OBSE folder (plugins for OBSE require you to create a folder Data\OBSE\Plugins). In that case, even though the OBSE folder already existed there was no file named obse.ini in it (the obse.ini file is new for version 21), so still nothing gets overwritten, merely added to your Data\OBSE folder.

To confirm that OBSE is working afterwards use OBSE Tester. After you have confirmed OBSE operation you can safely disable OBSE Test Plugin.esp and then delete it.

I use the right mouse button click menu myself. The rule of thumb when copy and pasting is always paste into one level higher than you copied when dealing with FOLDERs (it's paste into the same level for individual files).

Thus, it's right click on the extracted OBSE download's Data folder and select Copy from the right click menu, then navigate to your game's install folders in Windows Explorer and find your game's Oblivion folder. Right click on Oblivion and select Paste from the right click menu. You will get the Windows warning about there already is a folder named Data ... select Yes to All.

As a note, if you don't get the folder warning you've pasted into the wrong folder (and when you look you'll likely see a Data folder inside of your game's Data folder).