Probably time to start shopping around. Not entirely sure what to do...

yes. installing windows 7 is simple and easy. the basic drivers should all update themselves, and if you simply upgrade your OS, then itll transfer all the files over normally. however you may need to update you GPU drivers and such for the new x64 bit architecture. but its simple as well. you just gotta make sure you delete the old stuff, then install the new stuff.

Okay.

For backing up files (because I'm starting that right now.) I have steam for all my games, so, for my modded games like Skyrim, will it work if I save the folders to another computer/hard drive and then reinstall the game using steam, and then replace the installed folders with the ones I saved? Will that save my mods and such?

Okay.

For backing up files (because I'm starting that right now.) I have steam for all my games, so, for my modded games like Skyrim, will it work if I save the folders to another computer/hard drive and then reinstall the game using steam, and then replace the installed folders with the ones I saved? Will that save my mods and such?

You don't even have to reinstall the games as long as you put them in the right folders.

Alright!

So, before I buy stuff besides the RAM and the new OS, is there anything else I need? With the processor and the graphics card? Anything I need to check for or can I just buy them and put them in?

EDIT: Also, is there a way to find the type of case I have? And does it matter all that much beyond optimization? If I can I'd really like to keep the motherboard, hard drive, and case I have now.

Edited by AnubisRaven

just make sure amd is known for botched installed driver updates, for someone who doesn't look regularly under the hood you wouldn't notice that. I suggest you download this tool just in case.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html

Edited by Thor.