GR! this F***ing pisses me off!!!!

krimzin

GET OVER HERE!!!!!!!!! FATALITY! TOASTY! LMAO AH HOW INSPIRING.

Uh headgear has to have an extra file put in with it, which I think is called a .egm or something, you'll see them in the .BSA for headgear stuffs. That kind of thing makes scripting look easy. The oblivion hackers made a program called the conformulator, which will create new .egm's basicly the .egm tells the headgear how and where to strech in order to fit all the available head sizes. like a morph

typically when something has gone all sideways on you, it's just lacking bi-op data stuff or whatever, the headgear in particular runs of .egm's which makes the job twice as hard, hence the making scripting look like a nice easy hobby.

However, if it's a vanilla item that you just changed a bit, then really all you need to do is unpack that .egm that is hidden in there, then put the .egm in the folder with the mesh, which from there it gets kind of shady, some people create a test npc, put the item in the test npc's inventory, then use the update facegen model availablilty which is in the charicter tab at the bottom, then save it, or go back to the test npc to see if they are wearing it.

The conformulator is oblivion so it doesn't you know work great for fallout 3, but It will do some projects.

I think I gave up on my headgear an moved on, you can use the advanced search on the nexus forum to search only in titles, for headgear, an stuff like that which will lead to you better answers, or start asking quesitons about the stuff I mentioned maybe we'll figure it out.

wow, that's a real pain in the ass bone. I guess I'll just keep adding the meshes to the headgear that's already listed but not really used like the child's reading glasses. too bad there's not a whole lot of extra useless headgear forms like that. And it really only seems to happen to forms i make of vanilla headgear. if i use a modded helmet or shades, it doesn't seem to do the hat on your face thing. I guess i can eventually figure it out. I'll just have to live without any headgear that uses a vanilla object.

yeah if it's a vanilla mesh, and the name wasn't changed so that there is an existing .egm file with the same name inside the Meshes.BSA, or if you had unpacked that .egm, an changed it's name to match the new name then put it in the same folder as the mesh. Yeah then updating the facegen would work.

I don't think they all use .egm's either, most of them do though.

so everytime you make a new form with a new editor id of any vanilla object, you need to put the base object's egm into it's directory and rename it to the name of the new form? Like say you take ArmorCombatHelmetTalon and you rename the editor id to TalonCombatHelmet, you would have to find the .egm for the talon company combat helmet (CombatArmorHelmetM.egm) name it to something else and put it in C:/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3/Data/Meshes/Armor/Headgear/CombatArmorHelmet/M/?

Headgear makes my head hurt. :wallbash: so does this.

Ou no, first it's only on headgear, an then it's only the headgear which have .egm's

The only thing you need to get it to work is the mesh for the headgear an the .egm must match, not the form ID the Form ID can be anything you like.

So I make a helmet, the mesh is named BlackHelmet, I find a .egm for the mesh in the archive, so I extract it, an put the mesh an .egm in it's folder in Data/meshes/whereever making sure they are both named blackhelmet

Blackhelmet.nif

Blackhelmet.egm

Then once the head gear is created in GECK, You make a new npc, name it AAAtest so that it's at the top, go to it's inventory, add the head gear, then close that creating the new form, go to the top of GECK click charicters, then click the update facegen model availablity. Go back to the test NPC an see if they are wearing it on the head now an not the crotch. delete the test NPC, save the mod.

Note you wouldn't want to miss click an unpack all the NPC's face data, which is in that general area, it takes about an hour to unpack an really serves so purpose other than dumpping about 200Mb of raw data in your data folder, whoopz...

Do an advanced search on headgear, on nexus forums, this issue pops up a lot.