Removing things from the wasteland?

joptimus

I'm fairly new to modding (I have a semi-good understanding of the GECK) and I'm trying to remove some things (namely the merchant and his brahmin) from the outside of Megaton. I tried simply deleting the marker, but they still show up. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

OMG that is such a bad idea. Theres like 4 of those, maybe 5 idk, anyhow each one is set up to patrol the wasteland, so each of them have these markers spread out across the wasteland, then idle markers where they do things or sandbox, then they are also part of the story which I won't tell you about, because if you knew you probably wouldn't be messing with it.

Is there a particular reason why you would want to delete them?

If you want to make a machinima, its okay to get rid of them, but realize that there are four of them that wander the wasteland and getting rid of one won't stop the others from coming by later. If you just wait a day or so, they will move on and wont be there again for a while. You're probably better off doing that than removing them.

Now for OMG part. NEVER, and I mean NEVER delete any vanilla content from the GECK. It will lead to record corruption, and your mod will start acting in ways that will make you want to bash your computer to pieces. The number of weird things that can occur if you do this is too numerous to metion them all. Just don't do it. If you want to get something out of the way, either move it below ground (for static objects and the like) or mark it as initially disabled (the best choice for any object). This will keep the vanilla records intact. Its okay to delete anything you place yourself, but not stuff placed by Bethesda.

If you want to make a machinima, its okay to get rid of them, but realize that there are four of them that wander the wasteland and getting rid of one won't stop the others from coming by later. If you just wait a day or so, they will move on and wont be there again for a while. You're probably better off doing that than removing them.

Now for OMG part. NEVER, and I mean NEVER delete any vanilla content from the GECK. It will lead to record corruption, and your mod will start acting in ways that will make you want to bash your computer to pieces. The number of weird things that can occur if you do this is too numerous to metion them all. Just don't do it. If you want to get something out of the way, either move it below ground (for static objects and the like) or mark it as initially disabled (the best choice for any object). This will keep the vanilla records intact. Its okay to delete anything you place yourself, but not stuff placed by Bethesda.

ah that makes sense. good thing i make numerous saves, haha.

thank you very much!

Told ya so... Knowing bethesda, the marker is probably a persistent reference, oh wait, all patrol markers have to be persistent references before you can set them up as a patrol. wow we just learn new poop everyday huh? I'm glad you understand how the patrol works.

LAWLZ @ pkleiss's "now for OMG"

FO3edit will do that to, if you delete entire entries from the mod load order, and yeah it causes a mass of chaos an conflicts thru the whole load order, whoa where did that come from, but you can edit them an make them match, or remove the parts which are in red, rather than removing the whole entry. I figure it's the same as removing or delete the vanilla content in the game, all that stuff has other stuff which use it, you can see this in the count listed in the object list, like 10mmpistol 354 count, I used to think it was the poly count, but that's in the nif itself, the count we see in geck is how many other things are using this or how many times it's placed in the wasteland. Sure somethings won't cause any problems, but then every so often there is a land mine, which brings the whole stack of cards down.

IT'S CRAZY WOLFGANG...... it's crazy wolfgang man... Awe man it's CRazY Wolfgang...

You would delete him, awe you should be smited, can we get a smote over here, a smote please, two times...

hahahha , nah, I kind of want to shoot those scum bags in the face an then stick their heads on posts.

I think maybe I'll make a new mod, an base it around a merchant named joptimus who goes around killing other merchants so that he can take over the WMTF (Wasteland Merchant and Trader Federation) FIRST THE WMTF THEN THE WORLD WOO HOO!