Radeon vs. Nvidia

MacSuibhne

This may be an unfair comparison, but I am looking at an Nvidia760 4gb 256 bit and a Radeon 280 3GB 384 bit. Both are about the same price--right in my range/budget..

Which of these two cards is gonna give me the better value for running Skyrim at 1280 X 1084 (native and max resolution on my monitor) and a few mods dealing mostly with textures--water, foliage, etc.. Looking for a more realistic, immersive experience.

I also want to play Wolfenstein the New order...if for no other reason than to return to my gaming roots.

I have always had Nvidia cards but the specs on the Radeon are inviting...yet I have heard that the Radeons run hot and loud.

Thoughts?

All comments welcome...

well in skyrim at least Nvidia runs better and while it may cost a bit more than AMD you will end up saving money since AMD cards consume much more power

since your resolution is only 1280*1084 you shouldn't have trouble running modern games on ultra with both of your cards

So, I guess the question not answered...the elephant in the room...is whether the gtx 760 4GB 256 is better, worse, or comparable to the 280x 3GB 384?

And still do the Radeons run hot and loud? I've seen conflicting results...supposedly with a current or new bios they don't have the heat of noise problems.

GTX760 only pulls ahead if you need significantly more than 3GB of VRAM.

Other than that 280x gives better performance in Skyrim compared to GTX 760. Between 10-20 FPS.

So, I guess the question not answered...the elephant in the room...is whether the gtx 760 4GB 256 is better, worse, or comparable to the 280x 3GB 384?

And still do the Radeons run hot and loud? I've seen conflicting results...supposedly with a current or new bios they don't have the heat of noise problems.

well if mean the 280X them it will have better performance in every game over the 760(also the 760 doesnt have enough bandwidth to use 4gb)

if you mean the 280(non x) them go with the 760

noise and heat problems will happen only with reference coolers...if you use third party coolers such as asus, gigabyte, msi etc then its not a problem

Wow! Again, you make the point! I guess the 280x is the way to go.

I'm looking at a Sapphire card--3GB 384 but I don't know what a "reference cooler' is. Is that just saying that if the card is from a reputable maker the cooler will be OK, even good?

I'm not doing any overclocking.

thanks...

Edited by MacSuibhne

Wow! Again, you make the point! I guess the 280x is the way to go.

I'm looking at a Sapphire card--3GB 384 but I don't know what a "reference cooler' is. Is that just saying that if the card is from a reputable maker the cooler will be OK, even good?

I'm not doing any overclocking.

thanks...

Reference cooler is the standard cooling solution designed by ATI / Nvidia, while non reference card have coolers and pcb made by companies like MSI / Asus / Evga / Gigabyte.

Reference Nvidia card

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2781-KR

ACX cooler

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2784-KR

It's possible for some reference cards to get upgraded with custom coolers or backplates.

Edited by BlackRoseOfThorns

I recently had the same question but it was with a 770 vs 280x and I must say I made the right choice to go with 280x. I just love it. I got the sapphire one (vapor x ) which is three fans model, it doesn't go above 55-59 c depending on the game and the room temperature. Fairly decent. It stays around 40 c with games like dota and stuff, skyrim also the same but when I play with a profile of a lot of mods the temp goes up. But other than that, no sounds no loud noises and definitely worth the money I paid for it