Help with changing appearance of NPCs

SMTPersona

Hi guys I'm new here, and I've been trying to modify the appearances of NPCs' such as Amata, Butch, etc. However, I've tried 3 times creating 3 different .esp files with GECK, however whenever I load my file with FOMM, I realise the appearances of the NPCs have not changed.. What am I doing wrong? I'm modifying the NPCs' hair with some of the hair packs uploaded here.. Please help!

well... I would help you, considering I have done this many times myself.

But, I don't know what you did, so I can't know what you did wrong. You post just doesn't give me enough information to pinpoint the problem.

The only thing I can think of right now is that you didn't save it right, but if you can tell me the steps that you went through I can probly tell you where you went wrong.

This is my mod, just so you know that I have done this before, with most of the Wasteland to be exact.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5718

Oh erm.. Sorry about that! Ok after I started up GECK, I clicked on file, and then data, after which the box showing the TES Files that I have to mark, so I marked Fallout3.esm, CUSTOM RACES.esp, DIM CUSTOM RACES.esp, eyes_hairpack_en.esp, FollowerAmata.esp. After the files loaded (I didn't set any active files, by the way), I clicked on NPC and changed all the NPCs that I wanted to change, and after that, I clicked save and named it My Edits.esp. After that I launched FOMM, but I couldn't find my mod anywhere, so I searched online, and found out that I had to go to the Data folder inside Program Files/ Bethesda Softworks/ Fallout 3/ Data , and I clicked on compatibility file, and I found my .esp file there, so I copied it over to my Data file, and ran FOMM with my mod. However, as I played Fallout 3, I realised that the appearances of the NPCs did not change. So I redone the steps 2 more times, and each time I had to save it as a new .esp file, because it wouldn't let me overwrite my previous mod. But it was no use, as there was no change in the NPCs.. Please help me! And thanks for replying so quickly!!

If this is just going to be a personal mod, the simplest way to do it would be to Load Fallout.esm, and then set the Hairpack.esp as active, and then just make the changes directly on the Hairpack.esp.

That way you don't have an extra .esp file to worry about.

Oh I see.. Cool I'll try that! Oh and by the way, when I set my own personal mod as active file, I tried saving it but it gave me some sort of error and I was unable to save it..

Oh I see.. Cool I'll try that! Oh and by the way, when I set my own personal mod as active file, I tried saving it but it gave me some sort of error and I was unable to save it..

What sort of error did you get? if it's ok to ask

Erm well the error is

MASTERFILE: Unable to complete operation due to failure removing previous file.

Plugin 'Data/My FO3 Mod.esp' may be locked or read only.

Temp file 'Data/My FO3 Mod.tes' contains saved data.

Context: DEFAULT

"Yes to all" will disable all Warnings for this context.

This is what comes out when I try to close GECK and when they ask me to 'Save changes to plugin file?', I pressed yes, and that error comes out, after which I click 'Yes to all', GECK does not shut down.. It only shuts down after I click 'no' when they ask me to save changes..

Are you using Windows Vista and have the Fallout folder in your Program Files?

If you are using Vista, or possibly 7 (im not sure if it does the same thing) try this simple thing.

Enstead of just clicking on the GECK and opening it, right click and select "Run as Administration"

Then try to save something in the GECK, if it works after you do that, tell me and I will tell you how to fix the problem.

I am guessing that it doesn't want you to save to the Program Files, because it is a secured folder.

Are you using Windows Vista and have the Fallout folder in your Program Files?

If you are using Vista, or possibly 7 (im not sure if it does the same thing) try this simple thing.

Enstead of just clicking on the GECK and opening it, right click and select "Run as Administration"

Then try to save something in the GECK, if it works after you do that, tell me and I will tell you how to fix the problem.

I am guessing that it doesn't want you to save to the Program Files, because it is a secured folder.

Oh cool thanks so much it works!! Now I gotta see if my mod works.. Thanks again!