Follow options not working

buffmaloney

I have noticed that the option to acquire a follower does not work. I have FNIS, but the generate.exe file doesn't show in my folder where the description says it should be. Is this possibly the cause? Things were fine before I had to re-install Windows.

Just copy GenerateFNIS_for_Users to Skyrim/Data/Tools, so the exe should be in Skyrim/Data/Tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users/GenerateFNISforUsers.exe.

Are you using any follower overhaul mods? What happens when you try to add a follower? Do you still have the dilogue option "Follow me, I need your help." even after you've selected it once before?

Just copy GenerateFNIS_for_Users to Skyrim/Data/Tools, so the exe should be in Skyrim/Data/Tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users/GenerateFNISforUsers.exe.

Are you using any follower overhaul mods? What happens when you try to add a follower? Do you still have the dilogue option "Follow me, I need your help." even after you've selected it once before?

I have 3 or 4 added followers with no follow option. Even the vanilla followers don't have the option. I'm afraid I'll have to start a new game as I suspect the old games files may be mixed in with the new install.

Good idea to try a new install. If you want to test this quickly, you can install the mod "Random Alternate Start" which replaces the intro scene with a menu where you select your character type, then it randomly places you in the world. Then use Player.Placeatme on Lydia or some other mod-added follower to quickly test.

Otherwise you may have a load order issue in which case, are you using SKSE?

Good idea to try a new install. If you want to test this quickly, you can install the mod "Random Alternate Start" which replaces the intro scene with a menu where you select your character type, then it randomly places you in the world. Then use Player.Placeatme on Lydia or some other mod-added follower to quickly test.

Otherwise you may have a load order issue in which case, are you using SKSE?

I do have SKSE. I just ran TES5Edit. Going to restart it. My character was in Rifton. Will check with Marcurio to see if he will follow.

If you go to your 'saves' folder and find your save from the original install (before you reformatted Windows), there will be a .skse file with the same file name. If you open this file with notepad, you can see your original load order. I would suggest making your current load order the same as the original one, if it's not aleady. This should fix any new conflicts. Then just make sure you've not missing any follower based mods that you had before. These usually have their own scripts which take over the follower dialogue.

You can also try manually adding the NPC to the follower faction and setting their relationshiprank to try and 'force' them to have the follow dialogue, using the following console commands on them: (make sure you select them first with the console)

AddToFaction 5c84d 3
SetRelationshipRank 14 3
Edited by vinniewryan

If you go to your 'saves' folder and find your save from the original install (before you reformatted Windows), there will be a .skse file with the same file name. If you open this file with notepad, you can see your original load order. I would suggest making your current load order the same as the original one, if it's not aleady. This should fix any new conflicts. Then just make sure you've not missing any follower based mods that you had before. These usually have their own scripts which take over the follower dialogue.

You can also try manually adding the NPC to the follower faction and setting their relationshiprank to try and 'force' them to have the follow dialogue, using the following console commands on them: (make sure you select them first with the console)

AddToFaction 5c84d 3
SetRelationshipRank 14 3

I am not very experienced with console commands. I do not know how to select someone with the console. I am going to start a new game and see what happens.

Just open the console, then use the mouse to click on them. You'll know when you've selected something because its formID will be displayed as a number like 00C00D62 or something similar. Always 8 hex (A-F, 0-9) digits long.

Just open the console, then use the mouse to click on them. You'll know when you've selected something because its formID will be displayed as a number like 00C00D62 or something similar. Always 8 hex (A-F, 0-9) digits long.

None of that worked. So I tried to start a new game instead...CTD. :nuke: