CTD while Saving

Stewb

Hi, i noticed a really odd Crash To Desktop recently when i saved.

I was in the middle of Waters Of Life quest and about to head into the blocked pipe where the Enclave show up. I had saved before entering, then when i tried to get to the bit with the valve (part in the wasteland) the game crashed while loading the cell. I then loaded the previous save and tried again with autosave off, got through and tried to save once i was through the door, same problem crashed when saving, i figured it was something to do with the cell. Loaded the savegame once more and tried going out the door to the wasteland that your enter the memorial through, rather than going down the pipe. It worked fine and i then went to where the valve was and used tcl to get into the pipe. Done the sequence and got back inside, voila the problem was gone.

Anyone know what caused this in the first place? Just so i can avoid doing whatever it was again. If you think it's mod related i can give you a list of mods i use so you can see if there's any known buggy mods in it. This is only really so i can find out what went wrong and why the problem was solved that way so i can avoid it in the future or remove he offending mod.

The only thing I could guess would be an unresolved conflict between two or more mods, but I can't imagine what would alter that area.

Then again, I'm no expert and I know nothing about your load order or specialized textures/sound, so...

Or maybe it's fallout 3 being a glitch---y. (ahem)

The DLC's conflict with themselfs and they were made to work together. Same thing for FOOK2, there are places where it conflicts with itself. Not all of these are benign either. If you really wanted to figure it out, then duplicate it many times, but you would have to rule out a corupted save game among other things.

oblicatory questions: What game version? What patch? What OS? What Mods?

Already tried to save after loading an older save?

Yes i tried an older save and when i got back there the same thing happened. it only when i go through the pipes to the valve that crashing occurs upon saving. When i walk out the main door and tcl to the valve the problem doesn't occur.

Original version not the GOTY

patch 1.7

Win Xp

Mods and load order:

fallout3.esm

pointlookout.esm

anchorage.esm

thepitt.esm

brokensteel.esm

zeta.esm

unofficial fallout 3 patch.esm

craft.esm

calibr.esm

cubeexperimental (en).esm

ammo bench.esm

ss master file.esm

eve.esm

ewe energy weapons enhanced.esm

unofficial fallout 3 patch - operation anchorage.esp

unofficial fallout 3 patch - the pitt.esp

unofficial fallout 3 patch - broken steel.esp

unofficial fallout 3 patch - point lookout.esp

unofficial fallout 3 patch - mothership zeta.esp

mighty mouse.esp

darnifieduif3.esp

duif3extras.esp

missing fix pl.esp

brokensteelfix-gnrannouncements.esp

mzallaccesspass.esp

craft - activation perk.esp

dogmeatstealth.esp

calibrxmerchant.esp

auto aim fix v1.1.esp

underhome.esp

josef greys kozaburo hair style for fallout 3.esp

eyesaddon.esp

tomays-hair npcs eyes.esp

terminaloverload.esp

ammo bench - alien power cell.esp

nuclear launchers.esp

turret terminal re-vamp.esp

ammo bench - artisan.esp

ammo bench - craft plugin.esp

ammo bench - calibr.esp

ammo bench - car mechanic.esp

skill_points_increase.esp

better caravans.esp

better companions ess.esp

almost perfect anytime bobbleheads.esp

ammo bench - old ammo-benches.esp

ammo bench - toolkit retex.esp

portable distilling lab.esp

blackwolf backpack.esp

1animated nightvision goggles.esp

cryo weapons - vanilla.esp

dcinteriors_comboedition.esp

ff7 materia - stewb.esp

faces_of_fallout.esp

tailor maid.esp

tailor maid anchorage.esp

tailor maid pitt.esp

tailor maid brokensteel.esp

unlimited death reload time.esp

goat_perks.esp

galaxy ipip.esp

tailor maid zeta.esp

weaponmodkits.esp

weaponmodkits - operationanchorage.esp

weaponmodkits - thepitt.esp

weaponmodkits - brokensteel.esp

weaponmodkits - pointlookout.esp

weaponmodkits - zeta.esp

eve operation anchorage.esp

owned!.esp

cyber-enhancements.esp

ss weapon effects.esp

ewe supermutant energy weapons.esp

ewe load order fix.esp

ewe stormfront studios load order fix.esp

ewe dlc addon.esp

merged patch.esp

1pipboypda.esp

Hmm, my first gues would be the unofficial patch is not neccessary if you already patched to 1.7.

In my opinion with 1,7 the unofficial patch is pointless.

1) You can still shoot granades as long as the enemies are holding them in their hands. You can't target them as soon as they start flying through the air. But hey, you are causing serious damage if you shoot granades which enemies are holding in their hands.

2) Shooting flying rokets is just nonsense, o.k funny though.

3) With 1.7, the game is really nice, smooth running, VATS is awesome. Why making life more complicated?

But as said, just an opinion which only reflects my own personal tastes.

And the second would be that you realy use a bunch of very complex mod, which should make it quite difficult to point out the culprit :unsure: . You can use FO3Edit and going painfull through all instances which might affect the memorial, its scripts, etc or just unchekin all mods until you pased the quest.

This is beyond me. The only thing I can suggest is to clear out any mods you don't *really* need and put the mods that alter the game's system--like OWNED!--at the bottom of the load order.

Also, if you go in, activate the pipe, and then exit without saving, once you've exited the pipe does it still crash?

Because if it doesn't then you could probably just ignore it.

Hmm, my first gues would be the unofficial patch is not neccessary if you already patched to 1.7.

In my opinion with 1,7 the unofficial patch is pointless.

1) You can still shoot granades as long as the enemies are holding them in their hands. You can't target them as soon as they start flying through the air. But hey, you are causing serious damage if you shoot granades which enemies are holding in their hands.

2) Shooting flying rokets is just nonsense, o.k funny though.

3) With 1.7, the game is really nice, smooth running, VATS is awesome. Why making life more complicated?

But as said, just an opinion which only reflects my own personal tastes.

And the second would be that you realy use a bunch of very complex mod, which should make it quite difficult to point out the culprit :unsure: . You can use FO3Edit and going painfull through all instances which might affect the memorial, its scripts, etc or just unchekin all mods until you pased the quest.

Never thought about the unofficial patch not running with 1.7, will try turning it off. Thx, will look through FO3Edit sometime later if the problem remains.

This is beyond me. The only thing I can suggest is to clear out any mods you don't *really* need and put the mods that alter the game's system--like OWNED!--at the bottom of the load order.

Also, if you go in, activate the pipe, and then exit without saving, once you've exited the pipe does it still crash?

Because if it doesn't then you could probably just ignore it.

I did try something like that already, i turned off autosave, turned on the valve and went through the door to the memorial, tried saving and crashed right back to the desktop :') it appears to start crashing after that point. Which i why i guessed it must be something to do with the journey through the pipes causing it. Yeah, i got a habit of forgetting to remove mods i don't use anymore sometimes :(

Thx for all the help from all of the responses b.t.w