Iso: Opinion...

Roughnecks2277

PhysX won't help you right now with Fallout 3, but it has wider support than Direct X 11. Good luck finding a Direct X 10 game, let alone a Direct X 11 game. At the moment you can count on one hand the number of games that use Direct X 11 and still have a couple fingers left to spare.

The fact of the matter is that game developers are not going to ignore the 90% of their market that still uses Windows XP. That means Direct X 9, which also means you may as well use OpenGL, so you're at least Mac-compatible (in that respect) as well.

I don't think it's quite so clear whether you should go with nVidia or ATI. I've used both, and I can tell you from experience that nVidia is far less hassle to set up and maintain in the long run. So, it really depends on how much you intend to spend in the long run.

i actually never had any problem wether with nvidia cards or ati, well i once bought an additional fan for an ati card since i bought a rather cheap one with a weak fan and put it into a badly vented case but that applies to half the nvidia cards aswell

but i never had to invest additional money to keep such a card running at all :/ dunno what you mean here gsmanners,

i agree however that its atm rather unlikely that new games will be directx11 only

nevertheless its also highly unlikely that devs create somin for physx only as that also slims the market share due not everybody having an nvidia card with an intel cpu, and amd aswell as ati seem to have some trouble with physx and nvidia

hence i guess that physx will die out whilst directx11 will slowly but surely claim the market, earlier or later we will have to abandon xp in favor of 7 or somin, i will have to in the near future

but all that apart, you can see from this discussion that its might be a bit vague to make the buying descicion based on this technique which atm is still in its infancies

my advise would be to check somin like "tom's hardware guide" (google it) and simply check the benchmarks they have, then go from there and tell yourself how much you wanna spend and then look for a card that is as high up in the benchmarks as possible but still only costs what you wanna spend, then write down its data, check some online shops and look for even cheaper cards which offer the same specs*, then once that is done check if you find any user reports about overheating, being very loud, how much energy they eat and so on... many factors play in

*important ones i can think of right now: vram size (eg 1024MB), chipset speed (e.g. 900Mhz), vram type (e.g. DDR5), vram speed (e.g. 1000Mhz), cache (e.g. 256k), supported shadertypes (e.g. pixelshader 3, directx11), how many chipsets are there (ati x2 cards for example have 2 onboard hence work like a crossfire setup)

both companies offer cards that are more than sufficent for fallout, the physx thing we talked bout is more or less somin you might want to consider if you intent to use the card for the next few years

however i suggest you search the net for some cards you intent to buy so we can give you some tipps, just telling you which card to buy is rather pointless as that depends on your will to spend money...

both companies offer cards that are more than sufficent for fallout, the physx thing we talked bout is more or less somin you might want to consider if you intent to use the card for the next few years

however i suggest you search the net for some cards you intent to buy so we can give you some tipps, just telling you which card to buy is rather pointless as that depends on your will to spend money...

well some guy gave me a list of the compadible gfx cards for Fallout 3 and thr nivida Geforce 9800 was at the top and had the highest number (lol) of all the nivida cards so i though that would be the best card to get

The i was going to get the 4800 or 4850 or something for ATI but someone said they cause alot of bugs so thats why i choose the nivida.

Here, I found it:

Those are graphics cards & they are below min requirements for fallout 3

Minimum requirements:

* Windows XP/Vista

* 1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)

* 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor (Runs fine on 2.2 Ghz AMD athlon or equivalent processor)

* Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

Recommended requirements:

* Intel Core 2 Duo processor

* 2 GB System RAM

* Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)

Supported video card chipsets:

* NVIDIA GeForce 200 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 9800 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 9600 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 8800 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 8500 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 8400 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

* ATI HD 4800 series

* ATI HD 4600 series

* ATI HD 3800 series

* ATI HD 3600 series

* ATI HD 3400 series

* ATI HD 2900 series

* ATI HD 2600 series

* ATI HD 2400 series

* ATI X1900 series

* ATI X1800 series

* ATI X1600 series

* ATI X1300 series

* ATI X850 series

GTX295 FTW! ;)

or 5790 FTW! :P

dont buy the 4850... get at least 4870 if you decide for the ati HD4xxx series

my suggestion would be ati 5770 or nvidia 260(280)...

so the GTX295 is ATI and so is the 5790? But the nivida 260 sounds out of date, by alot lol

and is the nivida 260 the same thing as the nivida 280?