Freeze on loading screen

Bart95

This has only happened recentley, it worked fine the other day and no I have NOT changed anything right before the bug started, so like I said the bar loads a little then just stops but the music still plays in the background, this isn't a case of a bad save, I tried other saves but they're not working either, it loads a bit, then just stops, how is this happening and how do I get rid of it?

I usually see that when there is a mod that requires OBSE, and the game is not started using OBSE. It can also be caused when a mod has been removed that is needed for something in the save.

I usually see that when there is a mod that requires OBSE, and the game is not started using OBSE. It can also be caused when a mod has been removed that is needed for something in the save.

Don't think it's anything to do with OBSE, I did update it but that was two days before it satated to refuse loading, I don't remember removing any mods either, besides it normally just says "This save uses content that is no longer present, certain items may not be avalible, load anyway?" I click yes and the game runs fine except for a few items missing which is what I intend. :wallbash:

Funny thing here is, I've been having this SAME exact problem, only for me, once it freezes, I get a CTD. I installed personality idles, loaded the game, this happened. So I uninstalled it. No luck. It's something to do with the game, not the mods, because when I re-installed Oblivion it started working again. But a few months later it happened again.

ataris2145 is right: its something to do with the game. I've had it freeze like this on me no matter the conditions (xbox360, pc versions, modded/unmodded, etc...) and unfortunately there seems to be nothing I can do about it. All I know to do is ctrl+alt+del the program. My advice is that, while playing, keep one of the autosave functions on so you have up-to-date saves so you don't lose well-earned progress.

ataris2145 is right: its something to do with the game. I've had it freeze like this on me no matter the conditions (xbox360, pc versions, modded/unmodded, etc...) and unfortunately there seems to be nothing I can do about it. All I know to do is ctrl+alt+del the program. My advice is that, while playing, keep one of the autosave functions on so you have up-to-date saves so you don't lose well-earned progress.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah but it freezes on ALL my profiles so I can't even play the game.

Actually, unless you are all using the exact same copy of the game, its not the game. Or everyone that has a cd from that batch would have it. One that Bben didn't mention for this is scratched or otherwise unreadable disks, which hey, whadyaknow, have the same effect on every format with any program. Including DVD movies. When its reading data fine and then suddenly can't, it will just stop loading because the device doesn't know where the data is, resulting in either the device locking itself in an endless loop looking for the data or, more often in the case of PCs as they tend to be impatient beasts, CTDs.

Autosave is a bad idea for a start as it will cause corrupted saves. That is the game - a well known problem with Oblivion's save scripting. A little like saving a game then walking straight through a door can cause CTDs on the PC or lock ups on the Xbox. Oblivion can have a nasty habit where it tells you the save is complete before it actually is, and forcing it to suddenly start loading something at the same time makes it go pop.

Ataris- How did you install personality idles? Manually or through Bain/Omod?

Thing is, IIRC its a replacer, some of the files have the same name & path as default Oblivion files, so if you installed it manually, you overwrote necessary files, then deleted the replacement files, so you've removed files that even the 100% vanilla version of Oblivion would look for. Sometimes this can result in animations merely not playing. If its a whole bunch of em, my guess would be freeze/crash.

Bart - The "this save uses content thats no longer available" warning you mention - you mean its appearing, yeah? Because that means it thinks you have removed a mod your game was dependant on. It doesn't always cause this freeze/crash issue though I can see how it would if (similar to Ataris) the mod was a replacer or has not been completely removed. You also mention you've just replaced OBSE... which can cause that warning with some OBSE dependant mods if you are still using the old shortcut or didn't copy all the new files over the old. Sometimes it will still initialise, but not fully, causing OBSE to stop responding, and the mods to stop functioning. Reinstall it. And make sure you bin those old shortcuts (if thats what you are using and not BASH/OBMM) when you do, and create another one. I know it should just be like for like written one over the other, but Windows rarely does anything that cleanly unless you hold its hand and walk it through it.

Another one that can cause this sudden freeze when loading is a dirty or failing laser, for the same reason as a scratched cd/dvd. Everyone always screams "it can't be that because everything else works" Well, it can, but I really can't help you there. Only you know the amount of hammer your own devices have had, only you can realistically say wether they are going to need cleaning/replacing any time soon. Bare in mind if its a CD or DVD combi drive and you do a lotta burning, that will burn the drive out twice as fast.

At the end of the day, we all know the game isn't 110% stable, especially not when its modded, but its not 110% borked either, or this forum and the mods wouldn't exist in the first place.

Jenrai