Corpse Decay including actual Decomposing

switpeachikpea

This is a request that really needs much MUCH more brainstorming if it ever has a hope of being born... so let's assume it's after conception stage, and it's in "pregnancy". I'd like to first share my unimportant opinion on the current decay methods, if you're an author of either mod mentioned below, PLEASE don't take it as a negative comment, they both do a wonderful job - I'm just... disturbed. Watch

to know why ;) don't watch if you can't handle scientific truths as they are, it has a decomposing pig body.

vanilla 'corpsing' method:

body -> leave zone -> dissapear

:yucky:

- oh god! WHY!! :wallbash:

Reneer's corpsing method:

body -> 2days -> zombie -> chance to rise

zombie -> 2days -> skeleton -> chance to rise

skeleton -> 2days -> ash

ash -> ?fades

:confused:

- skeletons last a long time.. how else dya manage to dig 'em up 1000's of years later?

Mcaleb's decompose corpse:

body -> cast spell -> poof!

o_O

- oh c'mon man, there's a *reason* its a god/cheat mod, I'm too hard-headed for *that*!

So, how can this suggestion below be realised into full term, ready for birth?

I really wanna start from the beginning, once it's been posted, it's just been 'conceived', and I'd really like to build small from there. However, i've zilch modding experience and am about to study full time, I'm volunteering for a bit longer then I get a job - not a good time to start learning. Looks like I gotta hand this "pregnancy" over to everybody else, take care o' ma baby? IF I can learn modding no matter what "you guys" do, I will try to do it myself - but that might be a long time and is conditional on whether or not anyone absolutely blows me outta the water. It's a toughy though..

IDEA:

I'd love it if decay would pass relative to whatever rate time passes in oblivion, within a realistic time frame for the size category of the body

pallor mortis

algor mortis

rigor mortis

livor mortis

decomposition

skeletonisation

It doesn't have to be perfect, unless some freak <_< some WIERDO >_> would sit there staring at it.. :whistling: not me! I'm normal. :sweat:

quote myself:

Although i think it'd be more realistic to have a permanent skeleton, and not forgetting how much bugs <3 corpses! There's gotta be bugs! "-P Perhaps in conjunction with an insects mod? Oh and did I forget to mention how Ravens like to eat eyes? It's just idea's but, it'd be cool.

aaaand there's a bunch of sites below as food for thought:

Encyclopedia of Death and Dying

Death - the last taboo

How long does it take a human body to decompose after it's been completely decomposed?

I believe it was for game performance. Same reason why you don't want 30 NPCs running around on the screen at the same time.

You "could" swap out the dead body with a static mesh but it would be hard (or impossible) to match how the body fell down.

LHammonds

It's also worth pointing out that a body wouldn't just sit there lying on the side of the street for months. If it's near a city, eventually someone (probably people from the chapel) would come along to get it and bury it. If it's in the wilderness, the body would likely be consumed after a few days by animals, insects, and other things. I would imagine that certain things, like ogres and goblins, would exist largely from scavenging.

• 4 months later...
I believe it was for game performance. Same reason why you don't want 30 NPCs running around on the screen at the same time.

You "could" swap out the dead body with a static mesh but it would be hard (or impossible) to match how the body fell down.

LHammonds

Unless that original body was "turned" into a static? or could not even obse handle that..

It's also worth pointing out that a body wouldn't just sit there lying on the side of the street for months. If it's near a city, eventually someone (probably people from the chapel) would come along to get it and bury it. If it's in the wilderness, the body would likely be consumed after a few days by animals, insects, and other things. I would imagine that certain things, like ogres and goblins, would exist largely from scavenging.

another idea for npc's with jobs, random guy comes along with horse in cart at midnight, guys riding inside pick up body with havok physics, they stop doing the rounds at 1am (in imperial city, 3am), take bodies to "the lake" or wherever, done. Unless there's a specific request.. which would mean an amendment for rpg sake, by law none but the corpse moving caste may move a dead body. Then that body is delivered to the local, religiously monitored moratorium. Whaddya think? Too much crap?

I don't know much on the scripting side of things, but I don't see why after a certain amount of time from death a different mesh can't be applied in place of the NPC's skin mesh. Using a zombie or skeleton mesh already bound correctly to the same skeleton, would the new mesh be able to be put in based on the old skeleton's positioning. There may be minor problems with some downloaded armor meshes, but I think such a system would work pretty seamlessly.

The problem is that OBSE doesn't have the power to go about swapping meshes on the fly. That would require a program that could either edit .esps on the fly without changing their load order, or a program that could actually move and copy meshes on your hard drive on the fly (a scary proposition that few would embrace). Awhile back there was work on a utility that could edit .nifs and reskin them on the fly but I believe development hit a snag during a hard drive crash and loss of all files. As far as leaving skeletons around for months, you wouldn't like the performance hit. It would add up to a massive amount of data and savegame bloat. I think Reneers is as close as you're going to get. At least until some miracle utility comes out.

-Razorpony

• 4 weeks later...