Another note on site security, your security, and a malware email doing the rounds

Dark0ne

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #15568455. #15569110, #15570245 are all replies on the same post.

That site seems to be connected to a new server targeted virus that just started going around the last few days. It has come up on youtube and a bunch of modding sites and file storage sites. Easy to spread stuff with Java based code and script.

Glad to see that Robin and the Nexus crew are keeping it safe for us all. This is why Nexus is the best mod community on the net. Alas it leads to cyber-shites trying to exploit a large pool of victims.

hey i downloaded the NMM last thursday on a new computer i just bought were you having an issue then and if so how do i check my NMM to make sure it isnt a bad one

i understand the annoyance of viruses as ive had to completely wipe and replace 2 harddrives on previous computers so i do not want to replace the Hard drive on this one because of any virus!. also thank you for the heads up really helps knowing to look when this happens. and maybe i could ask a moderator about some not so good ads that show up when im on the nexus?

In response to post #15571860.

As far as I know the NMM itself, hosted here on the Nexus, never was affected so far.
This is about a bogus "email" coming from a suspicious address and only "claiming" to be from Nexus, informing you about a new update to the NMM and giving you a link to download it from, which of course isn't on the Nexus family of sites either, leading you to the malware instead of the NMM update, maybe even a maliciously modified version of the NMM.
But in all cases, it never was anything to do with the version of the NMM you can download "here", the proper NMM, from the proper servers.

In response to post #15568455. #15569110, #15570245, #15570725 are all replies on the same post.

I ran into this one on deviantArt myself a couple days ago. Seems to have slipped into the ad rotations of certain locations and is explicitly coming from the ad provider the site uses. If I recall correctly, they have been informed about it and will hopefully remove the malicious ad from their rotation in a short time.

It's rather easy to spot the suspicious website when in Germany by the way, as I know for a fact that Oracle, the legit Java distributors, actually know German quite fine, whereas the fake website was turning my stomach upside-down by trying to read it alone! cO