Another note on site security, your security, and a malware email doing the rounds

Dark0ne

In response to post #15575345.

I don't what if you are using windows 8 or not, but if you are there is a part in this article that you might find relevant. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12345/? This paragraph in particular:
"In other news, a lot of people have noticed that the "Download With Manager" button is not working for them on the site. Firstly, let me say that this is nothing to do with us, in that we haven't caused this problem. The problem arises with the combination of Windows 8.1 and the Google Chrome browser, and only this combination. NMM works fine in IE and FireFox with Windows 8.1. For a slightly technical explanation of what's happening: a recent silent update to Chrome has forced the browser to no longer recognise third-party URL protocols, like the "nxm" URL the Nexus sites use to start your download in NMM. Instead, Chrome will now only accept URL protocols that are classed as "safe" by Windows 8/Microsoft, which at this time is basically just the Windows Store. Great update, Google. The fix for this issue involves editing a Google Chrome config file to tell Chrome that the Nexus Mod Manager is a safe program to accept URL requests from. Google haven't coded any sort of system (like FireFox has) to ask if you want to trust the Nexus Mod Manager protocol, it just refuses to work. That's just plain laziness on Google's part."
Hope that helps

EDIT: Sorry I meant to comment on an earlier post of yours Edited by yourexpresident

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #15585050.

From everything ive heard you NMM is still safe as long as you download from the OFFICIAL nexus page. The problem with NMM was a scam email going out by a hacker saying NMM was out of date and to update it by using his direct download link.(the link had nothing to do with the nexus sites) you should be free of viruses (considing you havent gotten them from other sources) but if you downloaded skyui recently or any other mod that was compermised it wouldnt hurt to scan.

Hoped I helped
Space

As someone who has to deal with hackers frequently, I most certainly can sympathize with this case. However I would like to go further than wishy-washy feelings and actually do something to help.

I highly recommend that you all have a good security suite. I like to run Emisoft and Eset. For those who are unwilling to buy the full versions, I recommend Avira and AVAST concurrently with Avira installed first and AVAST installed in compatibility mode with both of them set up to exclude each other in the scans. Emisoft does offer free firewall as well but I haven't tested the latest builds to see if it plays nice with other programs. Proceed at your own risk.

Finally, when you have all that installed, reboot your computer in admin network isolated safe mode and do a single scan at a time from all your suites until your system comes up clean. Just to be on the safe side, get a legitimate copy of windows OS and repair your system files. You can usually find the serial key on the side of your computer.

You can find authentic ISOs from a third party vendor here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Nuke them from orbit, that's the only way you can be sure.

Edited by Guest

In response to post #15575285. #15576435, #15583670, #15583730, #15587910 are all replies on the same post.

In my experience, malwarebytes catches about 90% of the really nasty stuff but has trouble with that last 10%. Hackers usually use that last 10% most of the time. As for Spybot, well, penicillin used to work really well and then the viruses adapted.

I recommend you update your suite.

Im so afraid ;__;

I get the e-mail from nexus on NMM first, as i already download the "new version" from this wrong site.. I run Avira right now and i hope nothing get broken or something. What are the dangers now? Can I do something about it? Uninstall the wrong one and install NMM new from skyrim nexus wouldnt bring anything right?