Another note on site security, your security, and a malware email doing the rounds

Dark0ne

In response to post #15630670.

Well isn't that nice. Just rock me to sleep... *sigh* Don't people have something better to do than to create viruses and unleash them on the world? What is the point? Global collapse because the internet goes dark? Cue the evil laughter...

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #15629040.

Newsflash: Common Sense isn't as Common as it Sounds

Seriously, some people make mistakes, even obvious ones. Especially people who are learning how to use the internet properly. No need to be so harsh.

In response to post #15625170.

No. I use NMM and I didn't get one. There is probably a connection between the ones that were sent but I don't think using the actual NMM is it or at least not the only 'it'.

In response to post #15638610.

It doesn't matter what kind of mod it is, hackers can infect anything with a virus if they get access to files on this site. If you're in doubt about a mod, don't download it with the NMM. Download the .rar file manually, unpack it in a sandbox and scan it for viruses with an updated antivirus. If you don't have a sandbox Google Sandboxie, it's free. Make sure you download it from their official site. This method isn't fail-safe... If the mod seems clean but you still have a bad feeling about it, delete all files and wait a while. If people haven't complained about a mod after a few weeks, it's probably safe. Repeat the download rar and sandboxed security check, if it's still clean, install it and enjoy it.

@kitsu203 You don't even have to download to check a file for a virus - check out the FREE VirusTotal. It can check a file before downloading, and runs the file through about 30 AV programs..

I'm guessing that if you download directly from the THIS site you're fine, right?

I mean, I don't even check my Email often and somehow not one glimpse of this email has popped up.

I must be one of the lucky ones.

Tossing my two cents in: you may want to have a look at your ad sources via whatever ad service you use. In the last few days, I've sustained repeated trojan attacks from banners running scripts on this site. Norton has stopped each of them, but others might not be so fortunate.

if you login from a different location we'll send a unique code to your registered email address before you can login

So if I login from home and work I can expect a flood of code verifiers?