Another note on site security, your security, and a malware email doing the rounds

Dark0ne

In response to post #15909445.

My personal advice:

I definitely wouldn't mind that one. Those who actually were after what happened would never even dare admitting it was them in public. They're more professional and know better. It was a 'capital crime' after all. They can arrest one already for just 'pretending' it was one. And a Steam account is way faster tracked back to one's home address than any IPs used for the attacks could ever be.

This 'kid' didn't even read the news what this all actually was about. It wasn't viruses, it was a Trojan. Trojans don't destroy your systems, they take them over. They'll be remote controlled, added into a bot net, used for future hacking attempts on other, more secure systems.

Heard of Seti@Home already by chance? That's the gist of it, distributed computing, just that the infected systems won't just help with some ultra-complex mathematical calculations, as in the case of Seti@Home, but with mass-attacks on companies' password forms and other gateways instead, highly illegal stuff.

Apart from the damaged reputation no harm was done to the Nexus servers or operations. This wasn't targeted at Nexus but at the users. Thus it's highly unlikely to be anything else but a rather professional attempt to gather as many high-jacked computers for one's bot net as possible, using a very promising target group of exceptional scale and with expectably low security measures on their PCs.

This was no gamer's or hobby hacker's doing, Anonymous wouldn't even touch these things. This was serious 'cyber criminals' at work, nothing else. Edited by DrakeTheDragon

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the answer. Well that still doesn't explainst why would it now start messing with NMM. There wasn't been any problems before, and i haven't been using NMM for quite a while now. I saw that site was compromised and thought that problem could be because of that.

Edited by grtalica2

In response to post #15909445. #15918680, #15941155 are all replies on the same post.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Joeshadey
it seems like this is a little more serious i don't think he would write 50 viruses but if he dreamed up some facts about CP and went to anybody with an anonymous ideology he could have been a part of this people like to pretend to be anonymous or join some anonymous sect and go around doing things in the name of anonymous
remember what happened to those adult websites that had their users doxxed? might be the goal here; joe mentions a CP file, maybe take people who commented/downloaded and release their info?

In response to post #15909445. #15918680, #15941155, #16128255 are all replies on the same post.

Nothing 'serious' at all here, as far as I can see, well, apart from this guy's serious mental issues perhaps. Had a look at his one-and-only mod release on the Workshop and what he calls a 'description'? Don't need to see anything else after this. Kiddy's living in his very own little corner of reality, where facts and truth don't exist anymore. And to round up facts some more and remove 'any' doubt, he doesn't even know the 'name' of the group he claims to be part of.

No, seriously, Mister Random-Joe-Blow Shadey here doesn't have the slightest clue what he's talking about, as a general condition, and is far from possessing the knowledge to be able to do what he claims to have done. Just another one on the banned-from-Nexus-post-nonsense-elsewhere bandwagon, although quite a hilarious one, still nothing to worry about, or even pay attention to here. He's got nothing to do with anything, outside his own little world, and no grasp whatsoever of the real one. Pay him no mind.