Back to desktop on startup

Grumpfbork

A couple of days ago F3 just worked fine (only some random CTDs every now and then) on WinXP SP 3.

And now, all of a sudden, it refuses to start.

When I hit the "play" button in the games main menu I can see a black window or sometime the first picture from the slide show and then I am just back on my desktop. No error message at all.

The same happens when I use FOMM.

The strange thing is, that I did not change anything on my rig. No new drivers, check for viruses is negative.

Usually I would just re-install the game, but I do not have my disc here. So any idea would be very appreciated.

Did you installed any mods? If so what's your load order?

Ha! I searched the web for hours without finding an answer and you had the right thought at the first moment! :thanks:

It turned out that it had something to do with my load order. I guess I accidently changed my load order somehow, stupid me...

I unchecked everything except the Fallout3.esm and voila... the game loaded just fine. After that I compared my actual load order with a backup of the last working load order and for some reason they were different. After restoring the load order everything runs fine.

Thank you!

Btw, I just stumbled over your BetterSound-mod yesterday. It was the reason I fired my Fallout up again after a couple of weeks of Fallout abstinence... funny coincidence.

Did you installed any mods? If so what's your load order?

Ha! I searched the web for hours without finding an answer and you had the right thought at the first moment! :thanks:

It turned out that it had something to do with my load order. I guess I accidently changed my load order somehow, stupid me...

I unchecked everything except the Fallout3.esm and voila... the game loaded just fine. After that I compared my actual load order with a backup of the last working load order and for some reason they were different. After restoring the load order everything runs fine.

Thank you!

Btw, I just stumbled over your BetterSound-mod yesterday. It was the reason I fired my Fallout up again after a couple of weeks of Fallout abstinence... funny coincidence.

You're welcome, glad to help out. Wow, I feel so.... honored, :thumbsup: