[Question] Are TES:IV mods considered abandonware by now?

Keimpx

So, Oblivion is by modern standards an old game. Many of the people who were around in the modding scene when the game first started have long since left and moved on. I've tried contacting a mod author to ask if I may use his resources in my own mod but it is clear that he is no longer visiting this site or checking the email inbox left in his mod read me file.

Legally, a game as old as say - Morrowind or previous TES games are considered 'abandonware'. Do Obivion plugins fall under this catergory too? How does this fit into NexusMods rules? The resources I want haven't been updated since 2008 and I did my best to contact the author. May I use them in my own mod even though the read me says I MUST ask for permission?

I don't want to make anyone angry or break any NexusMods rules. I respect that mod authors put a lot of time and effort into their mods. Especially if they're custom meshes and textures.

Any advice? Should I just not use the resources?

Thanks,

Keimpx

I wouldn't say Oblivion would be called abandonware (is actually the first time I heard of that term really). There are those who still actively mod it. :) Regarding the author with their resources, no, it's not likely you can. The read me says to ask permission, you have done your best to make attempts of contact, and you got no answer back. Unfortunately, there is nothing more than can be done.

You can do what ever you want in your game. However, you cannot upload any copyright material to the Nexus without the original authors permission. This includes mods. If you cannot contact the original author, you do not have their permission to use their work in any file you would upload here.

As far as the Nexus Terms of Service is concerned, there is no such thing as "abandon ware".

Oblivion is definately not abandonware. It is still sold by Bethsoft and Beth still maintains a site where the patches are available.

And, as mods are covered under copyright - unless the author explicitly states that his mod is free for the taking.

Morrowind mods are also copyrighted. And the game is available for purchase through steam, You may be able to find a CD copy still in the stores, or a used CD copy ( yup, You can use a recycled ligit copy of Morrowind on CD)

Oblivion is definately not abandonware. It is still sold by Bethsoft and Beth still maintains a site where the patches are available.

And, as mods are covered under copyright - unless the author explicitly states that his mod is free for the taking.

Morrowind mods are also copyrighted. And the game is available for purchase through steam, You may be able to find a CD copy still in the stores, or a used CD copy ( yup, You can use a recycled ligit copy of Morrowind on CD)

Thanks for your and everyone elses' replies. My question has been answered.

tl;dr; I can do whatever I want with my own game but cannot release (at least not on this site) any material I do not own without the explicit permission of the owner or if permission is specified in the read me file.

A moderator can close this now as the question has been answered. :laugh:

Edited by Keimpx

Well, because of your 'remark' inside the brackets, just keep in mind, if the author you're stealing it from happens to find it out, no matter what website you uploaded it to, a simple message to GStaff at BethSoft has always been all that's needed for them to take side with the author and force the site to take it down, and/or deal disciplinary actions against the uploader. The Nexus doesn't take it that way "only because it's Nexus rule", but because the rules cannot be any different "by law".

And just so we're clear, people found stealing mods or resources from Nexus sites and uploading them, even if only to other websites, also have often been dealt with accordingly in the past already. Nexus is no place for thieves.

I understand, Drake.

How about uploading for personal use? I have a dedicated server in the Netherlands I use as a mail exchange and file server. Since using resources for personal use is allowed can I assume I can keep a backup of my files online for personal use too?

Out of curiosity, can you link me to any sources that confirm Bethesda/GStaff have taken such action in the past?

What would happen in the case of a host that don't respond to LEA/MLAT requests? Americans seem to have the idea that their US laws and copywrights are global.

You do realize this site isn't American, in particular the owner and most of the staff, right?

Yes I know Dark0ne is British, I had an account here in 2006. I was referring to him saying GStaff from BethSoft would contact hosts and ask for removal.

Edited by Keimpx