FOSE

KottonKing

There are also minor number of people like me, who can't use FOMM since it is conflicting with other applications which are running.

So I started to use the default laucher only for ticking mods active and then running the game by the fose_loader.exe and this is working like a charm.

I even fugured out what application is conflicting quite a half year ago. It's a program which I use for my internet connection and I would have to close it everytime before running FOMM. That's kind of unnecessary, since everything is just working fine.

And well, I personally do like being conected to the internet. :P

If you need a program in order to use a internet connection then you are probably doing it wrong. Internet connections are controled via drivers embeded/installed in the kernel of your windows system build in both cases of either having a modem, or built in ethernet chipset on the mother board. Which niether would need a program to connect. Yes there are cases where programs are used, but it's not what PC gamers use. Your run of the mill smart surfer wouldn't use it either. Like I said you're probably doing it wrong.

I guess you could be using wireless software, but you should know better than that by now. Unless you're scooting around on a lap top, in which case you have bigger problems than FOMM conflicting with background programs.

FOSE actually disables any connection fallout would use to the internet, which the smart folks will block stuff like this anyway via their firewall even if they didn't use FOSE. Then all FOMM does is launch fallout via the same FOSE-launcher.exe if it detects it. So long as you got the updated versions, an installed them correctly. Like the others said, all FOMM does is launch fallout via FOSE, set the load order in a more easy to use interface, apply archive invalidation invalidated, then to unpack .BSA archives. There are other things you can do with it. None of which has anything to do with internet connections.

If such a case exists where "a minor number of people" are unable to launch the game with FOMM, that doesn't suggest that those people still wouldn't be able to use FOMM for it's primary uses. Open it, set the load order, toggle invalidation, close FOMM, launch the game via the FOSE-launcher.exe You couldn't pay me to use the fallout3defaultlauncher.exe to set a load order which has long been known to actually cause problems in game (crashes) among other things.

The FOMOD FOMM installers for mods, can be switched back to manual install just from changing the name of the file you downloaded. Which is a good idea unless you're OCD enough to have figured out how to manage FOMOD's well, which you still run into the risk of changing mods messing up save games.

If you need a program in order to use a internet connection then you are probably doing it wrong. Internet connections are controled via drivers embeded/installed in the kernel of your windows system build in both cases of either having a modem, or built in ethernet chipset on the mother board. Which niether would need a program to connect. Yes there are cases where programs are used, but it's not what PC gamers use. Your run of the mill smart surfer wouldn't use it either. Like I said you're probably doing it wrong.

No, I'm not doing it wrong :P

It's an UMTS connection. Cool stuff, basicly. It's flying through the air and comes into a USB slot. So yeah, there is a driver, but as said, the Program which controls the connection does not work with FOMM.

And FOMODs ar simple zip or Rar Archives. I dont mind since every packer I ever used is able to ectract the files. After that you can install em like every other Mod.

So yeah, it actually works like charm, I use AI-Invalidated and I never had to do anything else, e.g. like managing my load order or sth ...

Don't think I never tried FOMM. I did and it's actually nice. But since there is a problem with, I just use a cuple of other tools, e.g. to extract bsa Archives ... and there is really no problem, I'm modding myself, just belive me.

And that's all I say.

I guess you would actually love it too - if you would not already love FOMM ;)

Btw: today is Valentines Day, Love ya all :P

But as Skotte said, if you really use a lot of Mods, then it's better to use FOMM

heh, don't look at me, I threw that line about wireless in there. At the end of the day it's not as cool as you think. Besides the encription key you have to keep up with which is like 30-60 charicters long each time the connection goes down. You have something called data loss which somewhere between point A an point B the data just vanishes into the air, depending on the distance. Then you know hackers driving by your house trying to hajack the connection. Then if you ask me I wouldn't feel okay about having a signal floating around in my house even though they told me it doesn't cause cancer. Then the Gamer factor which is latency, probably the most important, anything you can do to lower the ping translates into more kills, or well less lag if that becomes a problem. Then further you could argue that since gamer mouses or keyboards connect over USB that wireless would eat up some of that bandwidth at the very least causing more wear an tear on your motherboard. You know since it was designed to have internet data comming in over the ethernet, chipset, or pci bus. Heh but you had me sold at the lower ping of hardwired or even avoiding the sometimes problematic connection which requires a 30-60 charicter key. lulz

You launch FOMM it's now running, when you click to launch the game (or launch the game via FOSE) FOMM isn't running anymore. It's closed. When you exit the game it's closed. After you launch the game Fallout.exe is running. All FOSE does is disable the parts of the fallout.exe which would otherwise not allow the full use of scripts. Which I think is mainly GFWL (games for windows live) Stuff like punkbuster to keep people from cheating in online games. You can still use FOMM with your fancy connection. Which the updated version may not even conflict with anything. You just might not be able to launch the game with FOMM which really is just a bonus anyway.

One point is really a little problem. The Ping isn't as good as with cable connections. But regarding the other points I doubt that your connection would be a lot more secure than mine. If someone realy wants to break into your system, he/she/it will suceed anyway.

I really used FOMM and the only funktion I would need is the mergin of a plugin to a "real" master, which goes farther then in FO3Edit.

But besides of that I do not use FOMM for launching, because:

1) I dont have that much Mods

2) I only use the default launcher for activating Mods (they will be reminded anyway)

3) I'm starting the game via FOSE_loader.exe

4) Yeah, FOSE doesn't do too much - it starts the FALLOUT.exe with extended script funktions

5) the load order is sorted automatically by running the Fallout.exe

-> since the default launcher doesn't do much, but writing all plugins in order of the alphabet into a textfile, which will be read and sorted by starting the game via the fallout.exe ;)

6) the Fallout.exe patch 1.7 is doing an awesome job

7) I don't need to care about anything, including my internet conection

8. I don't need to run the dvd everytime since the default launcher is only needed to activate mods once

9) The game starts immediately, I don't see any kind of launcher, which is pretty convenient in my feel

10) game is stable like hell

11) I can use FOMM anyway - I just don't use it for launching ...

----

Imo it's really hard to say that FOMM is a must have. Maybe if there would be a function included which bypasses the "sort your unique loadorder" function? Maybe by including a button: Load your game without presorted load order"?

:)

Arguements are fun... :D

I see more what you mean. I thought you weren't able to use it at all, or didn't because of the net thing. So let's argue about something else.

1. yet, you haven't got a lot of mods yet... :D

2. used to cause problems an why people quit using it

3. yay

4. GFWL

5. Probably not, even if it were it's a bad idea

6. Maybe if you compare it to 1.0.35

7. Wrong, lies, we know you care.

8. True, unless there are still problems which can be caused from default launcher sorting

9. The game starts immediately when you launch via FOMM as well

10. Lies, besides we don't really know what hell is like, an I figure it must be pretty unstable from the fire, so maybe you're right

11. Good to hear, .esm is the dirty way to do it

Hmm, the default launcher isn't sorting ...

And what the hell is GfWL ;D (just kidding, I dint use it)

I'm really testin a lot of mods, though I'm running not that much. One thing is a disadvantage of the default launcher:

It's hard to see, to check and uncheck a lot of Mods because there is no proper list