Conobar

steven857

Question was it planned or did the developers of Dragon Age not realize that Conobar (Flemeth ill fated husband) was Conan the Barbarian's evil son.

Y'know, that's a really good question, Steven. Though it could be that it was an intentional reference, as are many other features in the game, such as the discussion with Alistair at camp, after you release Arl Eamon's son in Redcliffe from the control of the Desire Demon. His line (as long as you don't use Jowan's blood magic ritual to send a mage into the Fade, I think):

"Now that the warm fuzzy part is over, we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh, wait, it's not Tuesday, is it?"

This line is a total reference to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There's a whole list of candid references to certain works, as well as instances of characters feeling as if they're part of some kind of story, that you can find on the Dragon Age Wiki site. Perhaps there are even Conan the Barbarian references there... I'll have to look again, myself. ^^

Agreed, there are indeed a lot of references to movies, novels, etc. Many of the names and titles that are in the game are spin-offs that can be found in The Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan.

Conobar is actually derived from a celtic legend Conchobar, tho I'm afraid I dont know what the exact legend about him is, only that he fell in love with a goddess, and ended up dying. I think he was a king or a noble.

Morrigan is also a celtic legend, where she is a goddess. Or could be inspired by Morgan (also called Morrigan) Le Fay from the Arthurian legends. the sorceress who bore and raised Arthur's bas tard son.

Robert Jordon was also one of the author of Conan he wrote 7 or 9 of the Conan novels. during the early 80's

Any way just courios as I am working on a MOD dealing with Highever. On the chanter Board (in Highever) i was going to have a sidequest to involving a witch (Ursala) (Conobar's mother) I am trying to stick with the references found in Dragon age.

Robert Jordon was also one of the author of Conan he wrote 7 or 9 of the Conan novels. during the early 80's

Any way just courios as I am working on a MOD dealing with Highever. On the chanter Board (in Highever) i was going to have a sidequest to involving a witch (Ursala) (Conobar's mother) I am trying to stick with the references found in Dragon age.

True that! Jordan did indeed write quite a few Conan novels. I had forgotten that.

Very cool, definitely wish you luck with your mod. :)

If you want some more background info on Dragon Age, even if it's not for your mod...there's a couple of books that David Gaider wrote years back, that are now considered to be prequals to the game that deal on King Maric. The Stolen Throne, and The Calling. Maybe more than that, but those are the two that I've found. They are an interesting read.

True that! Jordan did indeed write quite a few Conan novels. I had forgotten that.

Very cool, definitely wish you luck with your mod. :)

If you want some more background info on Dragon Age, even if it's not for your mod...there's a couple of books that David Gaider wrote years back, that are now considered to be prequals to the game that deal on King Maric. The Stolen Throne, and The Calling. Maybe more than that, but those are the two that I've found. They are an interesting read.

To the best of my knowledge, Gaider only wrote Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne and Dragon Age: The Calling prior to the scripts for DA: O and DA: O - Awakening. A prequel Flash game, Dragon Age: Journeys, exists on Bioware's site, I do believe, and completion of that awards some of the DLC content that you can find information on here and on the Dragon Age Wiki. But The Stolen Throne deals with the Fereldan rebellion against the Orleisian Empire (the very one that made Loghain famous), and The Calling introduces the Grey Wardens, namely a younger Duncan, and the threat of the darkspawn Blight. It also introduces the Architect, an entity that appears in Awakening, and its agenda with Thedas. I think it'd be cool, though, if Gaider decided to write other Dragon Age books based on the lore presented, especially about the Siege of Soldier's Peak (to explain more about the Warden's Keep DLC) and the Exalted Marches on Tevinter and the Dales.