Should there be a punishment for not rating mods?

glensh

I've noticed that many people are downloading mods but are not rating. For example, Onra Fort Akatosh mod has been downloaded 13,500 times but only endorsed 31 times; this is only one example of many others. I thought the entire idea of people putting mods on sites like Nexus is for an opportunity for modders to see what people think of their work. But it seems people are coming on this site just for free mods for their own enjoyment. Regardless if the feedback is positive or negative but at least show the modder your noticing his work and let him know how to improve. Not giving feedback to a modders work is like eating a chef dish and not complimenting on the dish. It irritating to me that the really good mods aren't getting the recognition they should be getting.

Do you all think there should be some kind of punishment for not rating mods downloaded. Like limiting the amount of downloads according to the rating you give. For example, Yahoo Answers limits the amount of questions you can ask by how many answers you give, a point system really.

(sorry for the advertisement)

Now I admit I'm not the person to bring this up, I haven't put any mods on the site but I do try and rate every mod I use. :wallbash:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might become a pain in the butt for some people, and they might just leave the nexus entirely. Which I guess would help server overloads a bit. XD

It's an interesting concept to be sure, but the whole rating-downloading thing has always been an issue.

Plus you run into the issue of when a modder updates their stuff, like Tona does frequently. When you redownload the newer version, will it slam you despite already voting for it? It might be easy to say that the site'll be programmed not to do so, but in reality that's a whole lotta coding.

Also, a lot of people may download a mod only to find it not to their liking. But they're courteous enough to not leave a downvote. If they're being semi-forced into voting, you'll see a lot more mods getting negative votes.

Either way it's an interesting thought. Let's see what other people have to say.

I don't think we can force people to rate the mods. Of course there are 20000 downloads, but people NEED to download and play the mod in order to know if they like it or not and mayby they don't like it enough so they don't bother with the ratings or even feedback. Would you like to be forced to rate a mod that you don't like just becouse you where curious to see how it's like ingame? Don't get me wrong, I do rate the mods I download, most of them anyway, but I don't think we should be forced to rate the mods.

A good point mods would get negative feedback. But talking to modders they seem to want that cause it helps them improve their work. As a modder yourself wouldn't you like to know what people think of your work positive or negative?

I also see that there would have to be some adjustments to the Nexus rating system for when a modder updates.

I just don't think modders are getting the recognition they deserve.

I download a bajillion things, and often use them as my own sort of mod playground. I merge clothing sets together, and redesign/retexture the crap out of them, because I'm unhappy with them.

Most of the mods I download are from other sites, as well. So I haven't quite gotten into the habit of rating.

I do rate when I get mods that happen to be a "god-send" though.

I can't see force-rates forboding well. Like other people said, there would be a lot of anti-endorsements.

I don't think we can force people to rate the mods. Of course there are 20000 downloads, but people NEED to download and play the mod in order to know if they like it or not and mayby they don't like it enough so they don't bother with the ratings or even feedback. Would you like to be forced to rate a mod that you don't like just becouse you where curious to see how it's like ingame? Don't get me wrong, I do rate the mods I download, most of them anyway, but I don't think we should be forced to rate the mods.

Well, no I'm not saying immediately after download you have to rate. But plainly not rating at all seems to be wrong in a way. If someone downloads 200 mods and not rates a single one does he benefit to the modding community?

At least balance out the amount a person download and how much he/she rates

I think the current system works and is a more accurate way of telling the quality of a mod.

Most of those who endorse do so because they find something special or unique about

the mod. I'm not going to downrate someone who made a simple dungeon that looks like

all the vanilla dungeons and adds no new characters or puzzles, but I'm not going to give it

my endorsement because it just doesn't interest me.

Forcing the system would only hurt modders and increase the burden of the moderators

as you'd get many negative ratings that would be unfair in some way or another.

I see it this way, if 35,000 people have downloaded a mod and it doesn't have any

negative endorsements, then people must like it. It's popular. This is not a symbol of quality,

just that people enjoy it. If it has many positive endorsements then it must be WELL MADE and

add something unique or special that you can't get elsewhere.

I think the current system works and is a more accurate way of telling the quality of a mod.

Most of those who endorse do so because they find something special or unique about

the mod. I'm not going to downrate someone who made a simple dungeon that looks like

all the vanilla dungeons and adds no new characters or puzzles, but I'm not going to give it

my endorsement because it just doesn't interest me.

Forcing the system would only hurt modders and increase the burden of the moderators

as you'd get many negative ratings that would be unfair in some way or another.

I see it this way, if 35,000 people have downloaded a mod and it doesn't have any

negative endorsements, then people must like it. It's popular. This is not a symbol of quality,

just that people enjoy it. If it has many positive endorsements then it must be WELL MADE and

add something unique or special that you can't get elsewhere.

Yea that is a good point. I guess punishment is the wrong way to look at it. But from talking to different modders they like to know how there work is and people aren't doing that.

Yea that is a good point. I guess punishment is the wrong way to look at it. But from talking to different modders they like to know how there work is and people aren't doing that.

Modders should be like musicians, in my honest opinion.

People who create for themselves, and themselves alone. Their tastes, their styles, all for the sake of themselves, and release it to the world with no expectations of gratitude. Take every non-rate, and anti-rate with a grain of salt, and embrace the love and praise they recieve. If those modder's you're talking to don't feel like they're getting enough, then they're being a tad self-important.

The internet, even if it's not real, can be a pain in the arse sometimes. It's just better to stick with the good things it provides(few I know) and ignore everything else as you will only harm yourself if you CARE to much. I am not asking you glensh to be like everyone else and don't rate, instead do it and feel good that you did help while others simply ignore. I rate most mods myself and encourage new modders becouse I feel it's right. We can't make everyone think like this. We get the best of it anyway as we know we did the right thing ;)