Fallout crashes when adding Mods

glensh

I have always been hesitant modding or adding mods to Fallout because most mods added to the game will crash upon start up. I basically follow the same steps when adding mods to Oblivion. I thought it was due to the windows or the window login marketplace thing, but asking this question prior no one seems to agree. I can't recall the mods I've added, but add armor mods, charactoer mods and others.

Is there a different step adding mods to Fallout as to Oblivion?

Are the apps out the can help?

I thought about trying it one a different comp with XP due to the issues using Vista

I would really like to start modding this great game but stayed away due to this issue :wallbash:

If you're using Vista, disable user account control. It's what I do so that I'm free to mod however I please. I suggest you get Fallout Mod Manager, a necessary resource for adding mods to the game. You can get it here. It will let you change the load order of mods which is necessary when using certain mods. It also does many other usefull things. If you're still having trouble with adding mods, go into FOMM, click Load Order, Click Export, then copy and paste the load order on here so we can see what mods you are running. Take note that some mods are incompatible with others and simply won't function properly, so you probably won't be using all the mods you want at the same time. ;)

After a few mod problems I became more carefull.

I use vista also, but i keep the user protection on.

Good help:

Backup your fallout data directory after it works....then add mods...make several backups.

In case of failure put the backup back.

Problems I encountered:

Sometimes a specific mod makes the game unable to load, finding the problem by erasing the files, putting files back to trouble some sometimes.

Then I just put the backup back or disable latest mod , and most times it works by disabling it.

Hope this advice helps all who have such problems