Fallout crashes on startup

Dinomut

I have the GOTY edition downloaded from steam, and when i start the launcher, everything is fine. My video card/RAM is enough to have the game set to High settings, and I'm able to run Crysis on High as well so I doubt its the computer. My game is fully patched and updated, no mods. I have a version of ffshow that doesn't allow an exceptions list, and I'm running on windows 7 64 bit.

Help? I've been working every solution on the web, and none are working. If you have any solutions that worked for you in a similar situation, please post them.

Try running the game in windowed mode first, see if it still crashes. Here's also something you can try:

For the PC version of the game, the problems seem to be bigger as the game crashes when it starts, and even though there are no official answers for the problem at the moment, it appears that the problems are caused by the soundcards (the 3D surround options in Fallout 3, to be more specific).

So, if you have Asus Xsonar, Creative or Realtek sound cards and your Fallout 3 game crashes when you start a new game, you can try the following trick reported by Bethesda forum user zsmono:

Just turn off the GX mode if you have a Xonar card. “For the others. This DS3D GX thing is part of Xonar’s drivers which is responsible for restoring EAX and multichannel sorround sound under Vista. Similar to Creative’s Alchemy or Realtek’s 3D SoundBack. Try to disable them, or change the speaker config to stereo.”

This was taken from www.unigamesity.com.