ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Oblivion Houses that are completely exterior?

thegreatgamecreator

• 2 months later...

After reading this thread (And also reading the one pertaining to the Mountain Shack), I have to say, I think the idea of creating an exterior home is excellent.

Of course, for many reasons stated, it would be impossible to have every home an exterior, but having a singular roomed shack would be a reasonable expectation for a mod.

BUT, one niggling question I have is this:

has ANY modder found a workaround on the weather issue (i.e. rain NOT falling through the roof)?

I know some have suggested making it NOT rain near the house, but surely there must be a way to make the rain NOT enter the roof. Anyone know how this is done? There has to be a way, but I myself (After spending many weeks on the construction set) am stumped.

My reasoning this this: when it rains in Oblivion, and you are in water, I'm pretty sure the rain doesn't penetrate through it. So, there MUST be something in the game mechanics to ensure rain doesn't always go through an object! Right?

I'm trying to make a very simple house mod (One room, one door, one window and a single bed) and I'm looking to place it near Gnoll Mountain (perhaps even on it, I haven't decided yet), so I am looking for any suggestions.

After reading this thread (And also reading the one pertaining to the Mountain Shack), I have to say, I think the idea of creating an exterior home is excellent.

Of course, for many reasons stated, it would be impossible to have every home an exterior, but having a singular roomed shack would be a reasonable expectation for a mod.

BUT, one niggling question I have is this:

has ANY modder found a workaround on the weather issue (i.e. rain NOT falling through the roof)?

I know some have suggested making it NOT rain near the house, but surely there must be a way to make the rain NOT enter the roof. Anyone know how this is done? There has to be a way, but I myself (After spending many weeks on the construction set) am stumped.

My reasoning this this: when it rains in Oblivion, and you are in water, I'm pretty sure the rain doesn't penetrate through it. So, there MUST be something in the game mechanics to ensure rain doesn't always go through an object! Right?

I'm trying to make a very simple house mod (One room, one door, one window and a single bed) and I'm looking to place it near Gnoll Mountain (perhaps even on it, I haven't decided yet), so I am looking for any suggestions.

Yes I offered to help the person who requested this out but he never contacted me

I think I might have solved it but Im not sure I attached a giant collision box over the roof of my house and im not sure if it was raining inside but it was raining outside

The only problem is if you jump on top of the house then your gonna stay up there and if you threw something up there it will get stuck

I had a fun time throwing apples and bead up there XD

Yes I offered to help the person who requested this out but he never contacted me

I think I might have solved it but Im not sure I attached a giant collision box over the roof of my house and im not sure if it was raining inside but it was raining outside

The only problem is if you jump on top of the house then your gonna stay up there and if you threw something up there it will get stuck

A giant collision box? That sounds interesting, can you explain the mechanics of this for me? I haven't come accross the term and am interested.

You sound like you've given this some good thought, and I am interested in hearing more! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Actually, an exterior home in Oblivion is possible--and practical. I built the first exterior home Top of the World some three years ago and, more recently, the Abandoned Mountain Shack. Rain and snow are kept out via scripts. The homes are relatively small to minimize the frame rate hit. Although there are some compromises, the experience is much more realistic and the houses have been quite popular (the shack is rated #7 out of about 1100 homes).

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, an exterior home in Oblivion is possible--and practical. I built the first exterior home Top of the World some three years ago and, more recently, the Abandoned Mountain Shack. Rain and snow are kept out via scripts. The homes are relatively small to minimize the frame rate hit. Although there are some compromises, the experience is much more realistic and the houses have been quite popular (the shack is rated #7 out of about 1100 homes).

Yeah thats what I have been saying but I don't exactly know how to do it the way I want it. I want to combine the exterior and interior meshes into one mesh.

I realize they all don't match up completely but some do like the farm houses. I have tried doing this but I dont know how to do it properly because the mesh just ends up without a texture and with collisions that don't work.

In short I know its possible I just need someone to show me how to put these meshes together without messing up something that causes problems with the mesh.

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately Oblivion (IMHO) was actually released more like a beta then a complete product.

It suffers some of the above mentioned problems and others in the 3D engine itself (raining under covered places in exteriors; shadows passing through solid objects like rocks or columns or 2nd floor if you look above; heavy clipping for example sneaking towards walls that cause black-outs) etc.

http://www.imgplace.com/img141/622/24oblivion25.th.jpg http://www.imgplace.com/img141/8954/23oblivion24.th.jpg http://www.imgplace.com/img156/6433/65oblivion26.th.jpg

I really think it's pointless struggling to improve the game and workaround these problems over a certain limit... We'd better wait Skyrim on 11.11.11 this year! ;)

P.S.

Tesnexus already has some interior-like-exteriors mods. For example:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=18305

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3334 (suffers the rain, snow in interiors bugs)

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6249

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34199

Nevertheless, I'd be very interested in a workaround mod for the rain pass-through bug...

What if one day Bethesda will release sources of Oblivion? :) Would be nice to finaly fix all these lurking bugs in the 3D engine.

Edited by rolloLG

I've had the same idea long time ago but I wasn't so expert with TES-CS and have never been able to put a fake collision box or a fake water pool into the buildings roof in the exterior porches, Cheydinhal bridges etc. as I wanted... :(

...mybe the underwater gets recognized as a different "zone area" and the game prevents raining animations there. Maybe it's possible to edit fake zones like these in the exterior to avoid the rain!

• 5 months later...
The only attempted mod for rain collision problems which I'm aware of is Reneer's Rain Mod. However, on many systems it seems to cause a CTD as soon as you go outside. You MIGHT be one of the lucky few though.