Fallout Australia

Gryphorim

Hi all, first post!

Lookig to make a mod that explores Australia's story in the Fallout universe, while staying true to fallout lore, introducing new factions, and returning some classics. so far i've written a tentative timeline/backstory up to the great war, hoping to tie it in with the timeline presented on fallout wiki. here it is:

fallout austalia timeline

with america closing it's borders in response to the new plague, many immigrants from war ravaged europe travel to australia.

influx of immigrants spurs many industrial ventures into action, australia sees never before seen prosperity, with local oil and uranium natural resources maintaining economy

race riots propt many corporations to bring in robotic (mr handies, built locally under licence) labourers, unemployment begins to rise

rising unemployment, and pressure from an ever more unstable china for resources, causes government to enact a draft for the armed forces, with migrant populations required to join for citizenship, and a minimum 2 years service for all australians.

australian domestic electricity needs are largely supplied with atomic power by this time

china exerts political pressure on japan, many japanese corporations and businesses move their headquarters to australia, and many japanese people migrate there also

given the potential military benefits of japanese technology, many japanese are waived mandatory military service in favour of developing new weapons and tech for the armed forces.

roiting breaks out across the nation, some racially fuelled, some aimed at the govournment's double standards for citizens, rioting exposes corruption in the police forces

protectron robots are built locally, under licence, to join the police forces, PR campaign states "robots are colour blind!"

national service increased to 4 years

those japanese who did join the armed forces brought with them many customs, such as the code of the samurai, bushido, and other honour based virtues which are seen to benefit the armed forces

china invades northern australia, extent of the invasion kept secret from many australians

american forces sent to australia to free chinese hold on oil and uranium supplies are essentially stranded when middle east fuel reserves run dry.

atomic powered cargo ships, commisioned by poseidon energy, leave drydock in australia, reopening trade with the US

1 year after traffic came to a standstill in australia, many residents move through cities in electric taxis, trams, and trains, rural communities move to existing trainlines, as atomic locomotives are brought into service, this advance in transport still too bulky to be fitted to cars however.

rail lines nationwide refurbished, with many new lines under construction

australian people learn of the chinese invasion in the north, and it's effect on domestic power needs, instead of sparking riots, as the gov't believe, the general populace, those not currently serving, rejoin armed forces or move against the chinese as militia.

after years of stalemate conditions in the north, chinese forces once again advance

many city councils install defensive weaponry at strategic points in their cities, in case of invasion

american forces deployed to assist warfighting effort, mostly robotic soldiers and weapons/ammo for australian troops.

australian implementation of "project safehouse" commences, with lessons learned from american effort

with chinese forces once again driven back, china sends forces to alaska in a two front campaign

enclave influence in australian "project safehouse" leads to secret construction of several enclave bunkers, just in case america too damaged to rebuild.

t45d power armour units deployed to australia, defeating chinese invasion, and setting up for american forces to move through south east asia.

american forces use australia as staging ground for campaign against china

imports of american fusion cars are scarce, australian manufacturers reverse engineer them to produce home grown examples.

with much of australia's oil reserves going to chinese war effort, and the recent annexation of canada, australian begin to distrust american presence.

australia calls for talks to discuss use of remaining oil reserves

talks with america break down regarding oil reserves

american forces use australian military bases as launching point against mainland china.

australian economy begins to crumble as holes in it's supposedly all nuclear economy start to show.

american influence in australian military and land usage only minimally opposed, as american war effort is the only thing patching holes in australian economy

t51b units deployed to australia on their way to china

use of power armoured units on rotation from china used alongside robot police and military units for crowd pacification

most american units returned home, following leak of FEV research to the public, and riots, much of their equipment is left behind

FEV research moved in secret to australia, in hopes of continuing studies

enclave establish a presence in australian politics, and move many personel, under guise of contractors, to perth's Rottnest Bunker, built as part of the safehouse project

american senators (enclave members) call for annexation of australia, to claim australia's prodigeous atomic fuel resources.

GREAT WAR, australia only nuked lightly, compared to most other nations, however, massive tectonic forces lift mountain ranges on both east and west coasts, whilst oceans flood into central australia. destruction from nukes multiplied by unchecked bushfires, massive landslides and earthquakes. in the end australia every bit as much a wasteland as the US, but with lower, (but still substantial) radiation, so plant life might return sooner that in the US.

big post sorry, if you get here c&c welcome, thanks everyone

Tectonic forces great enough to raise mountains on both the East and West coasts of Australia are not very plausible. The Sumatra-Andaman earthquake that caused the massive tsunami in 2004 shifted the ocean floor about 20 meters, caused the whole earth to vibrate, and triggered secondary earthquakes as far away as Alaska. Earthquakes that could cause mountain ranges to appear in short order would be vastly more devastating to life on earth than a nuclear war.

yeah, fair enough, i figured it might be far fetched, i based the shifting mountains on 3 things

-if we get hit with less nukes than most other nations (as we would if it happened today, we are a pretty low priority for nuclear attack) then something else must happen to stall our recovery, to make the game interesting

-all our mountain ranges are pretty low, and uninspiring from a distance, and if i raised the mountains, and move the foothills out, it nicely cordons off the small 10km by 10km plot of land that the fo3 engine seems to max out at.

-it was mentioned somewhere in the description of the great war that the nukes set off earthquakes and that mountain ranges sprung up overnight and some such, wish i could find that reference again, i think it was more of a "Science!!" depiction than a scientific one, and i'd hoped to recapture that 50's "Science!" vibe.

So... no mountain shift, should i perhaps get australia more involved in the great war? maybe we change our polical stand on nukes, start fielding them? bigger target etc...

or something else... suggestions?

Perhaps you have never read the book or seen the movie called "On the Beach". It was a cold war story from the 1950's about an American submarine that survived a nuclear war because it was submerged during the exchange of missiles between the US and USSR. The boat and crew settled in Australia because it had received no nuclear strikes and was intact. But even though most all of the missile hits were in the northern hemisphere, the radioactive fallout was circulated by the weather until it reached down under and killed everyone there too.

The story was based on science of the time. I don't believe that current global nuclear strategies of "superpowers" spare the major cities of Australia. Even with the so-called disarmament there are still more than enough nukes to spare for allies of enemies.

thanks for the suggestion, i will definately check out that movie.

so, less but not NO nukes hit Aus, but fallout problems more or less the same, more intact city ruins, like perhaps the Pitt? or New Vegas, (or not, depends on finished game)

any glaring problems with the timeline, like the late adoption of the vaults, enclave influence in australia, potential for supermutants? or have i got something solid and cohesive that people here accept?

i want to have unique australian rad-wildlife, mad max references (duh!) and the classic factions of fallout, (ie: the Brotherhood, or outcast/rogue elements, vault dwellerrs, enclave and supermutants) come together to make something that is still fallout but on new shores. c&c, suggestions welcome, and thanks so far people

• 5 years later...

Whilst I agree that you have an awesome idea here, why ruin it by keeping up the old factions 100%? its only fair to assume different factions would pop up in a different country, or at least run under a different name and American influence is nowhere near as strong in Australia as you'd imagine, so the Enclave pulling strings in Aus is quite unlikely, in addition the tectonic plates shifting to cause mountain ranges to grow in Aus is unlikely as we have the luck to be situated right smack bang in the middle of a tectonic plate that spreads out far enough that even given a few hundred years Australia's not likely to feel the effects of any massive earthquakes, maybe a tremor or two but nothing that would cause huge mountain ranges to grow, hence why we don't have any truly memorable ones as is, still we do have a great amount of both natural and man-made things you could build off, such as the devils ranges, the reefs, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, the Simpson desert, uluru, the Bunga Bunga's, and our huge swaths of outback, what I would recommend to bring a game like Fallout to Aus is have them hit hard and early, being that we have such huge swathes of natural resources it would be understandable for us to receive a hard invasion force as soon as resources started to dry up, the invaders strip Australia of everything they believe has value and drive the Australian citizens into the bushland, essentially sending them back to the traditions of our Aboriginal original land owners in order to survive. Scavenging what we can and forming make-shift tribes that sort of co-operate on a mutual not wishing to be decimated scale, however once the great war heats up Australia is all but abandoned by the super-powers who begin fighting each other and forget about the little country they enslaved, Australians after a while start realizing that they are no longer having to live in fear but have become so used to their tradition that they find it difficult to adjust, shortly after radiation sweeps over the country given the way radiation would do, mutating the wildlife and scarring people (but not quite ghoulifying anyone, still making some people insane enough to attack and essentially turn feral) and the story of Fallout Aus to be one based around regaining what was lost, fighting against other tribes to set up a dominant society, running errands to help build your society more and being sent all around the country (by swapping out the maps and using loading screens to help switch map areas) in order to pacify local tribes and grow, similar to being a leader of the NCR but focused more on Australian dreamtime tales and folktales, you could even have mythical creatures like the bunyips, rainbow snake and quoggas appear as enemies in the game. Just my suggestion but I hope you like it, ta