How did the Enclave get into Vault 87?

JackTrenton

The Enclave commissioned the Vaults in the first place. They have complete blueprints for the vaults and they know all ways of entrance. Perhaps Lamplight wasn't the only way to get in V87.

The only reason that the front door is so heavily irradiated is... well there really in't much reason for it, even given that the area supposedly suffered a direct hit (other such areas are less radioactive). I guess the reason is they didn't want you to legitimately discover the nothing that is behind the vault door. Though, they could've just made it... not work. Damaged control console, invalid access code, even a cave-in would do for something that would present a believable and un-overcomable obstacle for the player, but not for the Enclave with all its resources.

Yeah but the White House also suffered a direct hit from a bomb, and you can live through it.

The only reason that the front door is so heavily irradiated is... well there really in't much reason for it, even given that the area supposedly suffered a direct hit (other such areas are less radioactive). I guess the reason is they didn't want you to legitimately discover the nothing that is behind the vault door. Though, they could've just made it... not work. Damaged control console, invalid access code, even a cave-in would do for something that would present a believable and un-overcomable obstacle for the player, but not for the Enclave with all its resources.

Yeah but the White House also suffered a direct hit from a bomb, and you can live through it.

That was pretty much my point. The radiation only makes sense from a meta-gaming point of view. It's there to make it impossible by normal means to get to the door. The "direct hit" story is just there as a cover-up. The only purpose that the radiation serves is to force you through Lamplight, which they could've done several other ways which I mentioned in the paragraph you quoted. I even mentioned that other areas suffering direct hits are less radioactive.

So...Yeah.