Is History Important ?

AncientSpaceAeon

Vote, Post, And Debate !  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is History Important ?

• Absolutely
    • Maybe
    • Almost No

True, School History is watered down. It would become a huge Cluster sexual Intercourse otherwise;

Large Pieces of History are left completely unchecked in School. For example, anyone ever heard of the "meiji Restoration"? There is an anime that teaches you more about History then any other pop culture document.

1862 is a year which everyone can connect to the american abolutionist war, or civil War. Even we non-yanks :D

1862 was also the year in which Edo fell.

"Edo" later became "Tokyo" and Tenno Meiji, the first monarch after centuries of rule under Warlords, opened up the Country to the West.

Carrying Weapons openly was forbidden.

In "the Last Samurai" these where the bad Guys, who wanted to torch centuries of Japanese Tradition while in "Rurourin Kenshin" the Meiji People where the good Guys, wanting a new Beginning after Centuries of petty Wars.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In history in school we learned in about 4 years only about WWI and WWII...

Or I can't really remember if we learned something else, no one really cared ybout history in my old school (I mean the teacher did'nt really care...)

Now I'm in 2nd class in HTC and we had no history at all here. We'll have it next year I think...

But Imo history is somehow very important, cuz of history nearly everything is as it is today...

(I think world would be a LOT different today if there wasn't WWI and WWII and some other things that happened - e.g. 9/11 and so on..)

Speak about history , I will have to define it first, since there are more than one category. Every thing that is no more and is now in our memories, or written in books, is history, wether it happend 1 sec. ago or 1000 years ago.

What we learn and remember and use as experience, and also call experience, I will call history, but useful, since others can read it, learn from it, and use it.

What happend 2000 years ago in Roman Empire, who defeated who, I consider useless but of high value for the curious. However , when it comes to ancient constuctions, I most admit, they still holds secrets unknown to modern engineers

Yeah, the Romans never contributed much worth remembering, except:

The first real highway system - parts are still in use today

Concrete - I'm sure we could build things without it

Heated baths where everyone took baths - I think we could put up with the smell

Roman alphabet - I think I saw that around here somewhere

Latin languages - French, Italian Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian and a few others

The Republican form of Government - Did you know the US was a republic, not a Democracy?

Julian calendar - Named after some obscure Roman

Central heating - beats drafty fireplaces

Indoor plumbing - What need to be said?

Public mass entertainment as in a Colosseum. - prior to the Romans, it was private and the unwashed masses were not invited.

And of course architecture - the Roman Arch

And the concrete dome of the Pantheon is still the largest free standing concrete dome in the world, over 2000 years later.

Actually the Romans were not very nice people by today's standards, fully three quarters of the population were slaves. Contrary to popular belief, most slaves were not maltreated. And some actually had great power. If you include the Eastern Romans, an ex slave actually became emperor (Basil I).

A similar list could be made for nearly any historical society in any part of the world. every ancient society contributed to what we are today.

Also, I think history helps at understanding the world as it is today.

For example why are the politics are like they are today and stuff like that.

Cuz mostly something today is like it is cuz of an historic event that happened.

(I think politics would'nt be the same anymore if there wasn't WWI+WWII)

Nearly everything what is today has something to do with the history.

And it's never bad to know why things are like they are...

It can be a debate of ideas even if everyone agrees on one option ;)

Yeah, the Romans never contributed much worth remembering, except:

The first real highway system - parts are still in use today

Concrete - I'm sure we could build things without it

Heated baths where everyone took baths - I think we could put up with the smell

Roman alphabet - I think I saw that around here somewhere

Latin languages - French, Italian Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian and a few others

The Republican form of Government - Did you know the US was a republic, not a Democracy?

Julian calendar - Named after some obscure Roman

Central heating - beats drafty fireplaces

Indoor plumbing - What need to be said?

Public mass entertainment as in a Colosseum. - prior to the Romans, it was private and the unwashed masses were not invited.

And of course architecture - the Roman Arch

And the concrete dome of the Pantheon is still the largest free standing concrete dome in the world, over 2000 years later.

Actually the Romans were not very nice people by today's standards, fully three quarters of the population were slaves. Contrary to popular belief, most slaves were not maltreated. And some actually had great power. If you include the Eastern Romans, an ex slave actually became emperor (Basil I).

A similar list could be made for nearly any historical society in any part of the world. every ancient society contributed to what we are today.

This needs paraphrasing, now. Then turned into a sig.

You missed out english in your list of languages. I believe slavery was more akin to minimal pay servitude back then than more recent examples.

If we take a look at history! (funny enough) it shows that the historical horizon differs from country to country. I am not trying to be rude or offend anybody, but it´s a fact that contries like US, Australia and Latinamerica has a young history (like 4-500 years). Compared to Europe, Russia and Asia wich have an acient history.

History creates culture, the older the history the deeper the culture. I am not saying that US/Australia/Latinamerica do not have a culture. The population all come from Europe and brougth theire roots, their culture from there, but since EU was and is a multi-culture continent, and the settlers was building up new land, new countries, I guess they probably had to start a new "history" all over. Still with influence of their ancient respective history/culture.

EDIT:: And I am the Nay sayer, and now I believe history is important :P