blue screen

fap6000

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

0x1000008e 0xc0000005 0xbd0c0ec2 0x9d07b650 0x00000000

Caused by Driver- nv4_disp.dll

Version- NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 196.21

Already contacted Bethesda Support

Bing search brought up WOW players had a topic of 2X multisampling to fix the same problem, proved to not correct with fallout 3 (but I didn't manually set Multisample in configs)

Was happening only if VATS was activated to fire, which happened 5-6 times everytime, decided to rebuild the system. Now it seems that it's doing the same blue screen crash of death as before, only it's random, walk thru a door, activate the pip-boy, take a step here or there, can not be duplicated and traced back to any user action.

Currently on the fresh system build, it's happened 3 times, 3 minidumps on these, used Blue Screen viewer rather than Microsoft debug tools to read.

Fresh system build on formated drives. Windows XP SP3 +current updates, Drivers from makers websites, microsoft, nVida, Asus.. Including Direct X End user runtime update... Chipset update Nvida 750i, BIOS updated a few months back.

Pentium 4 550 HT, Asus P5N-D, PNY 8800 GT, 2Gb RAM, 4Gb Page file on both drives, Creative Audigy A2Z-s 7.1

Fresh install of Fallout 3 also, patched to 1.7, TweekGuided, Installed DLC's, Tested smooth.

Run on current updated versions of FOSE an FOMM

99% conflict free load order (still building)

Fallout3.esm

Anchorage.esm

ThePitt.esm

BrokenSteel.esm

PointLookout.esm

Zeta.esm

Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm

CALIBR.esm

FOOK2 - Main.esm

FOOK2 - [*censored*] World And Neighbourhood Kit.esm

FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esm

Mart's Mutant Mod.esm

20th Century Weapons.esm

UF3P-Merged-DLC-Fixes.esp

FOOK2 - Main.esp

FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esp

FOOK2 - Mothership Zeta.esp

FOOK2 - [EVE] Energy Visuals Enhanced.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC- Merged.esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE-Merged.esp

Dragonskin Tactical Outfit.esp

DragonskinBonusPack.esp

373-Merged-Records-DLC.esp

3657-Merged-Records.esp

AAArmoury.esp

AssassinHideout.esp

01AtM Polecat Garage.esp

airshipfixed.esp

VaultA.esp

OverRideDLC.esp

OverRideNPC.esp

OverRideTextures.esp

OverRideDialog.esp

OverRideFookDIK.esp

OverRideItem.esp

MergedPatch.esp

FullAutoPistolsReapingBuster.esp (Currently making)

My Vault Nuclear facility.esp (Currently Testing)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o294/eiffU/2-3.jpg

Pentium 4's will automaticly adjust the the CPU's speed based off heat, anything later than P4 will do it too. So if it was then things would just slow down from 3.4GHz at scale to how hot it got. Yeah I've viewed the temps, but it's kind of pointless because it has built in heat protection. Most of the trouble shooters point toward broken RAM first, but it varies from error to error.

The MiniDump crash log tells what caused it, but I have no idea why. You can use the microsoft debug tools to read the MiniDump, but it's like 1Gb of software, there's simple 50kb Blue Screen readers, which do the samething, only it's just a single .exe built to read the basic data from a crash log. Anyhow, that said n4display.dll caused it or whatever. So it's a driver.

I ran around for about a year running fallout 3, the last build lasted 6 months, then it started blue screening, which I figure was from one of the SLI grapics cards going bad, rebuilt an configured in non-SLI on a fresh system install, an it's still blue screening, but I have a feeling it's two seperate blue screen errors. From what was happening then, to now on the new system install.

While I haven't tried messing with the Multisampling rates, as suggested by a WOW players troubleshooting support FAQ, I found on a Bing search, inside the fallout 3 .ini configs seems like the only way to set it to a 2X, the settings I get for it are either on or off otherwise. I have reverted back to the more "following the rules" Grapics card settings, by picking let the 3D application decide, then using the fallout 3 default launcher to set AA an AF close to where I used to play at. The either also said that using Creative soundcards with 8000 series cards would cause the same error.

(Before I was using Advanced Grapics card control pannel settings) Which I had used those advanced settings on all the builds I had in the last year. Seemed to work well when it was in SLI, but also the Grapics drivers have been updated inbetween those points, could be the new drivers don't like using advanced settings Overriding the fallout3.exe 3Dapplication settings. Idk the point being that while I'm waiting for Bethesda Support an for us to figure it out on Nexus as well, That with things set on letting the 3D application decide I can run around in fallout like normal without the blue screen. Weird huh, It's not exactly fixed yet though, only a work around until we figure it out, so I can go have fun.

The n4display.dll should be the Grafics driver for NVidia Cards. Btw, what card do you have?

If it is an older card I'd suggest to use an older driver (maybe round about 186). If it's a newer one, use the latest driver. Sometimes it is helpful to use only drivers from your card manufacturer. Donno, I have ATI and I use a ASUS driver for the Card.

And another thing. Download this little tool called HW Monitor. Use it to track your Gfx temperatures.

It would be worth a try if having a mess of extra drivers wasn't another problem to get rid of, I think most of the newer driver installers will remove the old one first though. Then registry cleaning, not ready to go thru that yet, it's freshy fresh install, only a month old system. I haven't even defraggied yet.

Then you know riding dirty on 167.26 will crash the game when you exit megaton, later stuff has the infinite thread timeout BSOD crash, stuff I don't know about. So the odds of my stupid self picking a good version to rollback too the first time is like 25%. Then I've got a current version of the 750i chipset driver (maybe have to roll that back as well) Rolling back the driver does follow the PC Gamer rules though if you poke about in the either.

The card is 1 1/2 years old, but if you ask me. New cards would be 200 series, old cards would be everything else. Which when you download the driver from Nvida, it's based of the series card you input. So my current driver is the current driver for 8000 series cards only. Something like that. Then you know it's long been known that Windows gives priority to microsoft based software, you'd have to figure other companys would do the same. Which is kind of silly because Asus drivers are the same ATI drivers, only set up to work on Asus MOBO's. I reckon...

It's directly limited to the Drivers settings in the grapics card control panel. Between the driver an fallout I figure because of the sort of weird issues like VATS lag. Global setting of let the 3D application decide will allow normal play (AA an AF in the 3D application software) in the largest player made pre-optimized cells I've ever seen. Then advanced options in the grapics control panel (AA an AF on the card) like how I've played for a year for higher performance at high quality AA an AF settings, will crash randomly into a swirlling BSOD Crash in a tiny cell, opening the pipboy, or walking around.

It could be the Creative sound card issue with 8000 series, rearing it's ugly head. It could be Multi-threading support added into the new driver. It could also be a conflict between fallout 3's Multisampling an the cards Multisampling. We'll just have to see what they say. Since it's halfway working though I figured it would be best to not change anything until it's narrowed down. There's not a lot of blue screen diagnosis out there for fallout 3 yet.

Yeah, the ASUS driver are biuld on the ATI driver, no question. But on my card they build some aditional thing on, like a HD audio decoder and other things which require additional drivers. Those are build in the ASUS driver. OK, then I want a full functionable card, I just have to install the ASUS driver. Doesn't matter if I later want to update with the ATI. Yeah, that's hows it goes ^^.

Btw, my last card was a Nvidia Card from MSI. That workt 5 times better with the MSI driver than with the official NVidia drivers.

But you already stated that your card is only 1 1/2 years old. Then we don't need a debate about older drivers. Maybe your manufacturer has some specific driver for your card?

ASUS blows, it's pretty obvious they only care about money, but then who doesn't? Leave it to ATI to put audio on the Gpx card. hmmm PCI-E what can we do, yeah just stream the audio in with the rest of the stuff. I don't know sounds weird, does that mean you plug the speakers into it or that a certian amount of data goes over the PCI-E then interlaces with the system to decode stuff into HD. Maybe even like a decoder for the PCI onboard audio on the MOBo. Wicked an totally wierd at the same time. They say though on some mother boards to turn the PCI-E down since it's wicked fast anyway which is to get more stability with games. Not enough to actually notice it, but I figure it would be about the same amount of bandwidth just the decoder part (not like an audio stream in my wierd idea) So depending it could be a way of using that unused part of the PCI-E having more stable grapics data, an then also taking advantage of the speed of PCI-E.

Well any card is either going to work better with one driver at any given point in time. I mean you can't say MSI drivers are better than any other, or even one brand of card is better. Nvida an ATI are always right there together, with all the cards build around that. From playing the poop out of fallout 3, and doing crazy stuff like duplicating 6 cells worth of trees at one time while making mods (among other things) The other Card which made it a SLI system died at 1 1/2 years. You would think it would last 3 years following the average, but the kinds of things we are doing is kind of harder on them nowdays.

The specific drivers are usually beta versions, or even user made beta versions. Stuff that gets build into the current drivers. Finding one that hasn't been built into the current version would be pretty hard. Then I had trouble even finding this type of problem with fallout. I've tried the beta drivers for a specific issue before, it seems shady. The read me is always scary. 8000 series is specific enough for me. I can try looking for a 8800 GT version like you said, who knows what I'll find.

NOW EVERYBODY BACK ON YOUR HEADS, COFFEE BREAK IS OVER... LAWZ

• 3 weeks later...

Bethesda Support finally got around to answering the question. I guess they are pretty busy. Bethesda did have Excellent customer service. 4 stars Anyhow they said to roll the driver way way way back to like 170ish or something. On the link posted below it would discribe which cards this fallout 3 driver is for. I guess the folks above were right when they said driver, but I needed to find out which driver would be better suited for fallout 3, which is where Bethedsa support came in.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.24_whql.html