Lite Brite on by default, landscape issues

About all I can think of ... good luck.

Got it fixed completely. It came down to two 1's where there should be two 0's. If anyone else has this problem, ensure that your ini reads the following:

bFullBrightLighting=0

iMaxLandscapeTextures=0

Thanks again Striker, I really appreciate it.

Googling revealed multiple posting locations with no solutions.

I figured it was a mod error, having just solved the bit where everything is covered in grey hills.

But yeah seems that the AMD drivers fix one thing and break another with each release.

Cheers all, this should be stickied like hell.

edit - same card btw. 5770 ;)

Edited by 8ftmetalhead

You guys are looking too deep into this problem. There is no need to edit INIs, run in compatibility mode, or anything else of that nature. As previously mentioned, Oblivion sees the newer ATI 57xx cards and thinks they are very old and underpowered GeForce FX 5xxx cards. Therefor Oblivion will set the graphics settings to Very Low and assign a bottom end shader package. To fix this, you simply need to run the Oblivion Launcher and manually select High or Very High for your video settings. This will solve the issue and properly assign the correct shader package. What you're doing by editing the INI and turning "Lite Bright" mode off is only a band-aid, since your game is still using a low-quality, non Shader Model 3.0, Shader package.

Thanks for the info Smooth613. I'm sure you know this already, but unless you edit your Oblivion.ini and rename some shader packages in your RendererInfo.txt you won't actually be using Shader Model 3.0 (source reference Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide).

Relevant excerpt:

bAllow30Shaders=0 - If set to 1, this option allows (but does not force) the use of Shader Model 3.0 on graphics cards which support it, namely Nvidia GeForce 6600 or newer, or ATI X1000 series or newer. This can potentially improve performance when using HDR rendering for example. Check your RendererInfo.txt file in your \Documents and Settings\User\Documents\My Games\Oblivion directory to see if your card supports SM3.0 next to the option '3.0 Shaders'. Note however that even by enabling this option, Oblivion still appears to use 2.0 shaders (check the 'PSTarget' and 'VSTarget' lines in Rendererinfo.txt). In any case, if you have one of the cards mentioned above, it cannot hurt to enable this option.

Update: To force the actual use of 3.0 Shaders after making the above change, you will also need to check your RenderInfo.txt file (see above), and on the last line of the file check which shader package it uses (e.g. Shader Package : 13). Then go to the \Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\Shaders\ folder and rename that particular package to something else (e.g. rename shaderpackage013.sdp to shaderpackage013._bak. Now copy shaderpackage019.sdp and paste it back into the same directory, and rename this new copy to the package name your card uses (e.g. rename it to shaderpackage013.sdp in this example). This will force Oblivion to use the Shader Model 3.0 shaders in the game, which may increase (or reduce) performance and typically shows no image quality difference.

Edited by Striker879

• 4 years later...

Finally found a place with a solution, gonna test this, however I just changed every setting that was mentioned just to be safe (mine wasn't in compatability mode for 7 so now that is there along with the zeros where those settings had ones, though they may have had ones due to me manually setting my graphics to very low after it recognized my computer and put it on medium).