Full inbox blues

ptbptb

While export is a nice option I wasn't aware about, it wouldn't work so well in the case of those permission PMs since the text within that export could be manipulated easily and there would be no proof as to what was actually said.
I don't think that level of CYA is necessary in the modding world. The fact that you can quote word-for-word and when said author gave permission should be enough. You could always do a screenshot of the PM and keep that alongside the export. There are ways of telling if an image has been manipulated if necessary.

But even in a world where money is changing hands, PMs are not enough proof to me since it is not technically a "signed" document. (a younger brother could have used the authors account to reply to your PM for example)

LHammonds

Why is the total number of inbox messages you have so low? Why can't it go up as you participate more on these forms like so many other forums that I've been a member of?

Why is the total number of inbox messages you have so low?
Imagine footing the bill for a million members having HUGE PM boxes and the storage to go along with it. ;)

Why can't it go up as you participate more on these forms like so many other forums that I've been a member of?
As previously mentioned, free accounts have 50 PMs to store but premium accounts have 500. Although, it is virtually unlimited with the included export ability.

LHammonds

@pm export

There are two options, Excel and HTML

I use OpenOffice so the Excel option will work perfectly for me (I'll convert it to ODS format or TXT)

Do you import it in any special way? I've tried looking for something other than the "import text file" option in Excel a few times, because all that gets me is the pm's in rows, and the message body text never seems to get parsed correctly, even though the file appears to be properly formed CSV format. And even if it did parse, I'd have a cell containing the entire message text including html markup - doesn't exactly make for easy reading right off the bat.

I assume I'm missing something here.

EDIT:

I meant to add that the html export was only slightly more helpful, but I have to mostly take that back. Up until now I've never downloaded and viewed the exported html file emailed to me, I only used the "View" link you get in gmail, which seems to remove the css...

So the html export is quite nice, but there's still one problem I think Dark0ne would have to fix if possible: The style for quote boxes doesn't seem to be defined in the embedded css ("quotetop" and "quotemain" classes). So you end up with the word QUOTE followed by the quoted text, but no formatting to differentiate quoted and non-quoted text, and more importantly, nothing to indicate the end of the quote. Gets a bit confusing, especially if there's more than one quote block in a message. Code blocks have the same problem.

Why is the total number of inbox messages you have so low?
Imagine footing the bill for a million members having HUGE PM boxes and the storage to go along with it. ;)

Why can't it go up as you participate more on these forms like so many other forums that I've been a member of?
As previously mentioned, free accounts have 50 PMs to store but premium accounts have 500. Although, it is virtually unlimited with the included export ability.

LHammonds

I cannot pay for a premium membership at this time. I know that it would be expensive, but possibly worth it. Also, you wouldn't have to increase it for every member, just the ones who request more space, and especially for users like Xilver, who could use the extra space.

I cannot pay for a premium membership at this time. I know that it would be expensive, but possibly worth it. Also, you wouldn't have to increase it for every member, just the ones who request more space, and especially for users like Xilver, who could use the extra space.

If this is a common problem, maybe it would be practical to allow people to pay for extra inbox space only for less than the normal premium membership. I, personally, am currently unemployed after a long period of illness otherwise I'd be quite happy to pay for premium membership myself. :unsure:

Hm, couldn't say more. Mine will end in a 1,5 month and the greatest benefit for me is that it has a bigger inbox ;D. Maybe there could be a light package that only has a few or that single feature, being a bit more like a modders version?