C**p about racist..

The Extreme TES

Though i found that word in the vocabulary...On internet...:/ (Negro)

internet is not all.

in most languages, "negro" is a racist insult, and the use of this word is prohibited in many countries.

Rebel O Connor you are mistaken. Negro is not a racial slur, it's just an old fashioned term that has fallen out of use. It's not derogatory.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Negro

There is a derogatory racial slur that is a perversion of the word, and that one is a derogatory term.

Edited by myrmaad

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't understand is why people still behave like and think like this about racism. I guess those wounds made such a long time ago still bleed and won't heal completly for many generations. Words alone are nothing, it's all about the way we say it and what we feel in those moments. Thinking about this subject reminded me of a beautiful song:

It's a little nostalgic, but makes you think more about people in general, at least that's how I feel.

Though i found that word in the vocabulary...On internet...:/ (Negro)

internet is not all.

in most languages, "negro" is a racist insult, and the use of this word is prohibited in many countries.

Rebel O Connor you are mistaken. Negro is not a racial slur, it's just an old fashioned term that has fallen out of use. It's not derogatory.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Negro

There is a derogatory racial slur that is a perversion of the word, and that one is a derogatory term.

in France,someone who use "negro" in public incur a 10000 euro fine. French law is very strict about that.

and as i know, in england, there's a fine to that too.( but i don't know how many)

for USA, i don't know, it's true.

in France,someone who use "negro" in public incur a 10000 euro fine. French law is very strict about that.

and as i know, in england, there's a fine to that too.( but i don't know how many)

for USA, i don't know, it's true.

Lol, I never knew there are banned words. Well, that's not my idea of freedom. So if I say negro a couple of times they'll send me to prison?... for words? If I make a custom t-shirt with negro word wrote on it, they'll arrest me? :blink: I think it's wrong to think like that and even worse is to blame someone for beeing racist just for naming something negro, in this case a mod, lame!

:blink:

I see a lot of people saying Negro is not a racial slur, and words shouldn't mean anything, but every black person I know hates that word almost as much as the other word.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I'm white, but let me ask everyone who's posted so far: Who's black in this thread? Anyone?

If someone is, and they posted it wasn't racist, then my bad. I'll shut up. My experience knowing a lot of black people is that the word is in fact a racial slur these days. United Negro College Fund gets a free pass because it's from a time when the opposite of today was true, and Black was the bad word.

Therefore, they called your mod racist. What they didn't realize is that you made an innocent mistake being from whatever country you're from (I take it you're not American....).

Of course, the whole thing seems moot to me, since Redguards are pretty much black people.

I saw your mod, and your description about the "negros being slaves" and I can only guess that you are not American or certainly very young and don't realize the implications of the mod name plus the description.

I am white but I live in the southern US, an area where there was slavery back in the day, and many of the blacks who live here still have a persecution complex and are extremely defensive. I've grown up so accustomed to this that I don't dare discuss anything that could be remotely construed in a racist way and generally avoid black people because I am afraid they will be offended just because I am there and I am white. What I am saying is the tensions are high where I live. If someone was looking to be offended and saw your mod I'm sure he would give you grief. In my humble opinion it's just best to avoid making certain kinds of mods unless you are part of the ethnic group that could be offended.

Added: See, I've been so thoroughly conditioned that I'm worried that somebody will see my post and get mad for me using the term 'black' even though I use the term 'white' to describe myself.

What's this about the "negroes being slaves"?

Using the term "negro" is one thing, modding them into the game as slaves is quite another.

Maybe so, but its not something that anyone should impliment into a game.

If its just a Negro/African race - Then its fine.

But if it also includes Negro/African slaves, theres something wrong.

Especially while uploading a file to a community as big as this one.

I see the point the OP (Uploader) has made. But I also can see it from the PoV of those who seen/downloaded the mod. I've been on this community for quite awhile now, I've seen so many mods come and go, and I know that having mods with "Negro/African Slaves" is unacceptable. -

Note: I'm only saying this because I'm neutral here, also adding to a post a little further above the page that the description had apparently had slaves too -

Regards,

Jav'

What's this about the "negroes being slaves"?

Using the term "negro" is one thing, modding them into the game as slaves is quite another.

I don't think the race was modded or scripted specifically as slaves, but it was mentioned in the description as lore/background information.