I cannot utilize the Screen Capture function in-game

Well here's my problem:

I have installed a bunch of mods, and now I want to chronicle my journey's in the wastes. I figured screen-cap would be "PrintScreen" as with most games. So I was in game, then countered one of the huge super mutants from marts mutant mod, and tried to screencap him. However the printscreen function did nothing.

I then went to google, and my search yielded that yes, Fallout 3's default screencap key should in fact be, printscreen. So I figured, maybe I just have to Paste my capture into paint. Nope, no dice. It's not capping at all.

Next I went into the Fallout.ini looking for an option. I saw one option that said "screenshotindex=0." I changed the option to "1", in both the Fallout, and fallout_default.ini files. Still, nothing. I have also tested all the function keys, and pretty much every key on the keyboard. My only conclusion is that perhaps my problem is the fact I have fallout 3 installed on a drive other than C:/. My actual Fallout 3 directory is D:/Fallout 3. Could that be the issue? Or is there something that I have overlooked?

Has anybody encountered my problem?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Just for your information, there isn't an actual way for you to tell in the game when you've successfully captured a screenshot. Pressing print screen key is correct. The screenshots should be in the main fallout 3 install directory, example I installed mine to E drive (E:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3).

Just for your information, there isn't an actual way for you to tell in the game when you've successfully captured a screenshot. Pressing print screen key is correct. The screenshots should be in the main fallout 3 install directory, example I installed mine to E drive (E:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3).

Obviously, but they're not. Which is my problem, they're not saving at all. That's why I was wondering if it possibly an issue with the folder in which my Fallout 3 is installed. Where your root directory is E:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3, mine is just D:/Fallout 3.

If you're running Vista i would suggest deactivating UAC or turn on the real admin account.

Activating hidden Vista account:

run -> type "CMD" with out " -> type "net user Administrator /active:yes

Log off and than you've got full access and this problem should go away.

Another sollution is to use another drive for your game, 2nd harddrive etc.

Well, there is actually a way in game to tell if you've taken a screenshot.

In the top right corner it says: eg. ''Screenshot001 has been created''

That's actually what I was expecting to see. Which would kind of let me know if I had it right. As for UAC, I have it completely turned off so it doesn't get in the way of things like this. I am wondering what would happen if I just manually change the directory structure. I could just add the new folders and make it something like D:/program files/bethesda softworks/fallout 3.

You can always hit Shift+prntscreen then past it into MS Paint (after exiting fallout 3 or if your brave tabbing out of it)

Shift+Printscreen huh? I had figured just hitting printscreen would copy and allow for pasting. I guess why it wasn't working that way. Let me try this. It would be better than nothing. Although I still want to get the actual screen cap problem sorted out too.

I have mine installed in C:/Fallout 3 and I can get screenshots so that shouldn't be the problem. Changing the ini the way that you did is correct. And, yes, just pressing "Prt Scr" should give you a screenshot. You should also get a confirmation as it already has been said unless you have used console command "tm" in which case you will see no confirmation as this disables all your hud. The screenshot should be located in the Fallout root directory. It sounds to me as if you have pretty much covered it all unless there is something missing. Otherwise there might be a conflict with something else like hardware or mods.

Rabbit