Can't level up and Can't Leave Andraste's Temple. . .

Teslyn

Well as the title and topic description say:

I can't level up my characters:

They should be getting to 13 and won't. Clicking on the + does not work and going through the C and trying to level up that does nothing as well. Basically I get the sound indicating I have pressed the button, but nothing happens.

I also cannot leave Andraste's Temple after securing the Urn of Sacred Ashes.

Now I think I remember getting this same problem (not leaving) on my last play through a month or two ago. I hit the social site and google which led me to. . .

Not being able to enable the console in order to runscripts to at least escape Andraste's Temple.

A lot of people want to point fingers at AT 3.0, but I am not using that mod and never have.

UPDATE:

I now cannot level up at all on any of my save games as well as any newly made games. WTF.

Hmm, this is an interesting problem. You have any mods installed? Do you have the developer console enabled? Did you install the new game Patch?

I second Tikki's question about installing the new patch. Or are you playing teh STEAM version which auto patches?

Also, have you used the console before...it can cause gamebreaking bugs.

have you tried creating a clean save on all your characters without any mods loaded?

Oh, another idea.... have you used mods or console to EXTENSIVELY upgrade your skills, attributes, and whatnot? If you max out your points, it will give you a few problems.

I have the same issue going on with one of my non-vanilla followers. But I havent tried to address it yet.

Oh, and please explain what's going on that doesnt allow you to leave the temple ;)

Forgot to turn email notify on for this thread and of course missed your posts until now. For the record I will say that I already went ahead and uninstalled/deleted everything and started over again with a fresh install (lost a couple mods I loved LOL ahhh well).

You have any mods installed?

Mostly entire list of what I was using can be seen HERE.

Do you have the developer console enabled?

I followed the directions to enable the console from HERE. To no avail. None of it worked. I followed it step for step and couldn't get it to work in any way shape or form.

Did you install the new game Patch?

Nope. I always wait as long as possible, especially if nothing seems too broken on my own install at the time. Plus I've read all of the horror stories about the crap this patch has done to others.

Or are you playing teh STEAM version which auto patches?

::hugs his discs:: ;)

Have you used mods or console to EXTENSIVELY upgrade your skills, attributes, and whatnot?

Not extensively. Probably added 3-4 of the arcane tomes to my main, and maybe 4-5 of the skill and sundries. I had plenty of open skills and powers that needed filling. Unless those numbers are considered too much? As far as my NPCs go none of them get any of that kind of loot :whoops: And those tomes all came from mods. I had never even attempted to use the console before this problem.

Oh, and please explain what's going on that doesnt allow you to leave the temple.

It's been months since my last play through but I seem to recall I had the same problem last time (wish I could remember how I got around it). Anyways, I beat the gauntlet, took a pinch of the ashes, crept past the dragon, but this time I agreed that the ashes needed to be shared with the world (something I know I didnt do last time). Genetivi leaves and then I tried to leave. I can run right up to the area transition point where the "Gather your party and venture forth?" pops up.

And then after clicking "Yes" nothing happens. Can't use the map to force out, obviously, since it's a combat zone.

Here's where it gets weird.

I thought, maybe I broke it by not killing the dragon (yeah not going to happen at level 12 or whatever) so I ran back out, summoned the dragon and after it's first immediate jump on the party the AI went all super stupid. The dragon doesn't actually turn and engage. And worst yet, I had to manually select each party member to go attack the dragon. My party would run up attack once, and then stop. The dragon after getting hit would at least retaliate using it's rear kick to knock the party away. I would rinse and repeat the entire process twice or so and then the dragon would fly up and land somewhere else. If it faced me it would spite fire bolt and then just sit there until I provoked it (manually again). I did not kill the dragon because that process was grueling.

I ran into this same Manually Force My Party in the mirror room of the Gauntlet where we fight our "images". They refused to attack unless I paused it and did the clicking.

I'm sure the not leaving and the AI issues are some kind of conflict between mods I was using *something akin to the AT invisible object bug*. I'll play through again see what happens. I've trimmed down my mod list this time.

Updated Again:

New game. New mods installed.

My dwarf cannot leave Lothering. Just saved Bodhan and now I can't leave. Exact same issue as above with Andraste's Temple.

Updated Update:

Personal Annoyance Remover.

Removed.

Travel is fine now.

Tried it on the off notice that my weapons did in fact have cold droppings from Morrigan's spell coming off them.

PAR could have been the problem all along. :wallbash: :thanks:

Holy crap, I am SO glad that you found the source of it! I was looking over the email notice, seeing all the problems that you were having and thinking "oh crap, this poor guy is probly going to have to reinstall his game".

Thats interesting, now that you mention it. Because all of a sudden I got that popup about "Preparing to gather your forces and move on to the world" or w/e. When before, I only had that when leaving Lothering. I didnt put 2+2 together to figure out that it was PAR.

I will definitely remember this. Thanks SO very much for posting your fix, I'll pass it along if I see others with the same problem.

I think part of it might be that PAR wasnt made for v1.02 and may have some incompatibilites :(

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem but don't have any "annoyance remover" type mods installed. It's weird, I was playing for hours yesterday without any problems but today none of my player characters (not a single one out of seven!) can get to the world map. I get the "gather your party and venture forth?" option but when I click "yes" nothing happens.

I haven't installed anything since playing yesterday so I'm a little stumped about what happened here. I guess I'm going to have to try uninstalling and reinstalling different mods until I find the cause, although it still wouldn't really eplain how the game broke itself between now and yesterday.

*sigh*

Edit:

Just realised that I should mention that I'm running the latest patch, I have Awakening installed and I am not running the Steam version of the game.

*Edit again*

I seem to have fixed it by deleting the "single player" folder in My Documents/Bioware/Dragon Age/Modules.

I am having the same problem but don't have any "annoyance remover" type mods installed. It's weird, I was playing for hours yesterday without any problems but today none of my player characters (not a single one out of seven!) can get to the world map. I get the "gather your party and venture forth?" option but when I click "yes" nothing happens.

I haven't installed anything since playing yesterday so I'm a little stumped about what happened here. I guess I'm going to have to try uninstalling and reinstalling different mods until I find the cause, although it still wouldn't really eplain how the game broke itself between now and yesterday.

*sigh*

Edit:

Just realised that I should mention that I'm running the latest patch, I have Awakening installed and I am not running the Steam version of the game.

*Edit again*

I seem to have fixed it by deleting the "single player" folder in My Documents/Bioware/Dragon Age/Modules.

So many weird fixes for this odd problem. Thanks for the input on how you fixed it.