Best Antivirus

AncientSpaceAeon

As the prior post has mentioned, there are some programs you do not want installed at the same time. Typically, you choose one anti-virus scanner and one firewall because they are usually "real-time" scanners that actively watch the system. You "could" install a primary antivirus program (like Comodo) and an additional manual antivirus scanner such as AVG and have AVG scheduled to perform a scan at different times than your primary scanner...maybe even go so far as to schedule your primary scanner to deactivate during a specific time window to allow another scanner to run without butting heads. I do this sort of thing with production file servers.

Most antispyware programs are typically manual scanners or passive protection and can all be installed and run on your system (such as Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes).

To the question about Comodo Internet Security being free? Yes it is and more so than almost all other products because there is no restriction on the license. If Microsoft wanted to install it on one million of their computers, they could do so. The comodo company can do this because they sell a product that benefits from people trusting online transactions and providing a tool to help people secure their PCs (and thus trust their online transactions more), it helps their overall business.

LHammonds

• 3 months later...

I use kaspersky myself along with esset nod 32 and malware bytes anti malware +++ i can say from experience that kaspersky is the best has blocked several malicious attacks before and has served me well for many years now so +1 to kaspersky, eset nod 32 is my back up blocker with his trusted accomplice malware as his sidekick XD works like a charm :D

i use to have AVG and norton back in 2004 but its crap had to reformat my PC back then norton didn't do its job = fail (that's what i get from visiting those shiney websites :ohmy: ) lol till i tried out these AV

my computer isn't somthing i like to mess round with so i have have AVG and Adaware.

I use Kaspersky and it is really good, it really deserves the first place on top ten best antivirus software of 2010. :D

Who is "best-antivirus.co" ? Why should I believe what this company says? Research? What research?

best-antivirus.co is registered by GoDaddy.com. The Registrant, Admin Contact and Billing contact are all the same person: Marius Oprisor. The company says to be Softtech srl which is based in Romania (company seems to be into Real Estate). The site is choke-full of Google ads and makes me think somebody made the site to get attention and revenue from their ads.

From my experience, I have never talked to anyone in person that thought Norton Antivirus did its job or worked without causing problems, system instabilities and none of them were able to cleanly uninstall it from their computer. Any list I see that shows Norton Antivirus as one of the "best" products immediately gets a cross-eyed look from me.

LHammonds

Yeah, Nortons pretty bad. I used to like it. It had protected me from many threats over the 1 month period I had it. Then, Norton managed to somehow ruin my computer, forcing me to reinstall my OS. Then I couldn't reinstall Norton because the serial key I had used when I bought it didn't work... So basically I spent almost £80 on something that ruined my Laptop. Yay.

Now, I use Avira. It's kept me safe for over a year now and just yesterday protected me from 2 trojans and 6 other forms of malware.

I use kaspersky myself along with esset nod 32 and malware bytes anti malware +++ i can say from experience that kaspersky is the best has blocked several malicious attacks before and has served me well for many years now so +1 to kaspersky, eset nod 32 is my back up blocker with his trusted accomplice malware as his sidekick XD works like a charm :D

i use to have AVG and norton back in 2004 but its crap had to reformat my PC back then norton didn't do its job = fail (that's what i get from visiting those shiney websites :ohmy: ) lol till i tried out these AV

Go team, Kaspersky rules.

That makes to of us.

You can't judge a site like that, Lhammonds is right there, but coming from experience its king :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I had a few nasty attempts and it destroyed them with one scan, and 99% of them never got through, i have the deluxe version with the firewall now, and its amazing :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I personally use Spybot - S&D although it uses much cpu.

Virus detection software is the biggest thing people worry about these days. So I use symmantic endpoint protection. It usually has subscriptions, but since I work for the military I get it for free till I retire. It works well, but it too is cpu demanding. It has a very advanced user interface, so you need to now what you are doing.