CM partner: Stealing all my stuff

darklight161

Yes, I searched this issue and I did get some hits, but the question was never answered (though asked several times), so I'm really asking for help as this is a major inconvenience.

For some reason, my CM partners start taking all the items I have placed in my display cases....even if I lock them with the console. Then they will stand in a corner smacking air. From what I understand, the smacking air thing is a normal behavior (practice) but why do my partners feel the need to steal all the weapons in the entire cell in order to practice?

When I used the console "show package" command on one of the culprits, it gave me a 16, which the FAQ tells me means "useiteamat."

This is kinda a nuisance as I have many items in the interior cell I place my companions in.

All the companions are from DivineAvenger's compiliation (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=oblivionmods.detail&id=3099)

Any help is appreciated....thanks in advance

This is one of those topics that repeatedly comes up over the years. I'll summarize what I've seen written about solutions:

1) Set them to "Stay here" when in your home. Do not set them to practice melee, etc.

2) Keep them in an area where you haven't got any containers (including mannequins, which are containers, after all) that you don't want rifled.

I don't know that #1 works for certain, but it seems to, at least for me. They don't rifle through my containers, and the items they "find" are ones that are left lying out. #2 definitely works, but that involves using a house (or house mod) that provides a "safe" area for companions, away from the goods you want to keep locked away.

What task are you setting your companions in your home?

I've heard you should set ownership on the cell if you haven't already. If the Companion is set to Player Faction and the ownership is set to Player, this may not work, and you may have to set ownership on each of the items. Korana was just mentioning this not too long ago, I'm going to search for where I read it, because she's definitely what I would regard an authority on this type thing.

Yes, I searched this issue and I did get some hits, but the question was never answered (though asked several times), so I'm really asking for help as this is a major inconvenience.

For some reason, my CM partners start taking all the items I have placed in my display cases....even if I lock them with the console. Then they will stand in a corner smacking air. From what I understand, the smacking air thing is a normal behavior (practice) but why do my partners feel the need to steal all the weapons in the entire cell in order to practice?

When I used the console "show package" command on one of the culprits, it gave me a 16, which the FAQ tells me means "useiteamat."

This is kinda a nuisance as I have many items in the interior cell I place my companions in.

All the companions are from DivineAvenger's compiliation (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=oblivionmods.detail&id=3099)

Any help is appreciated....thanks in advance

My solution to the problem of my thieving companions was to create chests, jewelry boxes, and display cases which cannot be opened by NPCs. I've recently uploaded these as a mod onto TESNexus at http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=30338 .

You might find it helpful.

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same problem with a CM Partner Based Mod. It started innocently in that my companion would start to go into sneak mode and maybe steal a beer. In one of my houses my items were locked down with Decorator Assistant so I would hear my companion jiggling something but nothing appeared in his inventory. Later moving to the Arborwatch House I had weapons lying about and entered the cell where my companion was practicing and he just started picking up every single item. Sigh... an entire glass weapon collection with red handprints now. He nearly got a quest reward as well.

I am also seeking answers. The best I have been able to come up with is raising responsibility slightly to about 75-80. I am not in a thief class so this might work. Using Decorator Assistant in the Arbrowatch House and see if that does the trick. Leaving the offending companion in his room where he can steal his own stuff. That's the nice part about the Chorral house it has an area the companions can stay in until you need them. Otherwise he is going to have to stay at an inn or guild hall.

Anyone have any simple solutions? Swiping a beer and a sweetroll is cute. Taking my favorite sword is not.

I'm afraid that I can't be much help with this as I don't know, but I've used the Ramy's Enfant companion quite extensively around chests, cabinets and mannequins and I have never seen her help herself to that which does not belong to her. Maybe there's something in her settings or script that might give you a clue as to what to set to make them honest. I'm sorry that I can't be much more help than that, but it's just a thought.

Rabbit