How does autosave work?

Octopuss

I disabled all 4 options related to autosave in the options, but autosaves are still being created. Does anyone know why, and how exactly the whole feature works? It obviously has some unknown conditions to it and is absolutely unconfigurable.

You don't have any mods that may have some autosave in it? For instance, I have the 'Dynamic Timescale' mod and it has a built in auto-save feature that you can use.

If not, then I really have no idea. I've never had it autosave on me before when I've had those turned off. Is it doing it for all auto-save types? Resting, fast travel, wait, pause? If it is only doing it on some or one, we may be able to narrow the problem down.

Even when you turn off autosave in every possible way. it still does it on travel to Solstheim for example and maybe some other occasions which I can't remember now. If your game autosaves on sleep/wait/travel and etc, that means your game is broken and needs fixing.

Even when you turn off autosave in every possible way. it still does it on travel to Solstheim for example and maybe some other occasions which I can't remember now. If your game autosaves on sleep/wait/travel and etc, that means your game is broken and needs fixing.

Agreed. I didn't think about that. There are few autosave places (I think the quest 'Hitting the books' comes to mind as one that does) but yeah, the save is broke if it's doing it anyway.

You could try something like PDTwrapper save cleaner, but you honestly are better starting over. Again, if that is the case.

You don't have any mods that may have some autosave in it? For instance, I have the 'Dynamic Timescale' mod and it has a built in auto-save feature that you can use.

If not, then I really have no idea. I've never had it autosave on me before when I've had those turned off. Is it doing it for all auto-save types? Resting, fast travel, wait, pause? If it is only doing it on some or one, we may be able to narrow the problem down.

I do, but that's the catch - I use Autosave Manager that does it the way I want for me, so I want to get rid of the vanilla autosave, which apparently cannot be turned off :(

What's your problem?You need an attitude adjustment.

My attitude is perfectly fine. I am just sick of useless replies from people who don't bother reading all the time.

That's what I am trying to figure out - when does it create a save. It's extremely annoying, because it clutters the list of saves when I want to reload, and it also horribly lags the whole game for about 2 seconds everytime it happens. Combined with the other autosave it really gets on my nerves. Plus the general fact something is being forced on me with no way of configuring it.

And this has always happened to you? Or just in this current play through?

I remember before that my save manager would be set to save after battle, and also every 10 minutes I think. So I would get autosaves seconds later after it just autosaved because of that variable I had set up.

But I'm guessing if you have it set up, then you know it isn't the problem.

I would say try it on a new game and see if it does it or not. If you have and it still does, probably a verify is in order, or at the most extreme a reinstall.

But no I don't know how autosave works haha except that it shouldn't be working when you have set it not too!! xD

I do, but that's the catch - I use Autosave Manager that does it the way I want for me, so I want to get rid of the vanilla autosave, which apparently cannot be turned off :sad:

What's your problem?You need an attitude adjustment.

My attitude is perfectly fine. I am just sick of useless replies from people who don't bother reading all the time.

Where do you say anything about using autosave manager in your original post?Nowhere.My answer came from my own experience with,what i thought was, the same/similar problem and you felt the need to act like a prick.You're an example of the typical users i get on my blog, they start off by saying,"The mod doesn't work."then you spend an hour trying to DRAG the rest of the story out of them just to learn they didn't read the friken instructions in the first place.

So good luck on your little problem i don't have the patience for people like you.

Edited by gandalftw