EA to use Ubisoft's DRM

Retribution

As if I needed another reason not to buy EA games. :tongue:

The conspiracy theorist in me (what, you mean you don't have a little conspiracy nut inside your head?) is screaming that Ubisoft and EA are doing this because they WANT people to pirate their games. Then, they can point to even the slightest dip in their high-as-ever sales and say, "SEE! The pirates are destroying us!" :pirate: ...and then try and use that as justification for travesties like ACTA, which thankfully the EU parliament seems to have wised up about, but I hold little faith in our corporate-owned Congress.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the plus side, this might just be the final nail in the coffin that is EA and will bring about their ultimate downfall where they sell off their franchises to other companies, or just get out of the PC gaming market entirely. Really makes me wonder if that aren't actually trying to run their company into the ground.

+1 But I really think they are just trying to squeeze and grasp at straws to cut off illegal games, yes probably to their detriment.

That's just pants.

I am going to start saying this.

I know its pretty funny:biggrin:

As if I needed another reason not to buy EA games. :tongue:

The conspiracy theorist in me (what, you mean you don't have a little conspiracy nut inside your head?) is screaming that Ubisoft and EA are doing this because they WANT people to pirate their games. Then, they can point to even the slightest dip in their high-as-ever sales and say, "SEE! The pirates are destroying us!" :pirate: ...and then try and use that as justification for travesties like ACTA, which thankfully the EU parliament seems to have wised up about, but I hold little faith in our corporate-owned Congress.

See above...:biggrin:

The real shame about this is not everyone is able to have highspeed internet and those people are the ones that are really hurt by this.

Hmmmm...Maybe they want that noone buys the computer version of their games. If there are also console versions of the game and it's going to be a really good game, people who like it (and want to stay legal) but have no or a really slow internet connection, have to buy it for console if they have one...and as we all know, console versions are more expensive than the computer versions...lol..

Or their games are really crappy and full of bugs so you need a internet connection for daily updates and patches...

daily updates and patches...

We're talking about EA here... they usually wait for an expansion or a addon pack that you have to buy for the game fixes to work. I think you might have been confused with some other company.

Actually, you're almost wrong, there was that time that EA patched Command & Conquer with "minor fixes" which resulted in if you booted the game while you were listening to music with Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, or WinAmp, secuROM would abort the game and display a pop-up accusing you of running piracy / game hacking software. So there's not always an add-on before they patch, sometimes they do it just to piss people off.

Actually, you're almost wrong, there was that time that EA patched Command & Conquer with "minor fixes" which resulted in if you booted the game while you were listening to music with Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, or WinAmp, secuROM would abort the game and display a pop-up accusing you of running piracy / game hacking software. So there's not always an add-on before they patch, sometimes they do it just to piss people off.

I've had EA games complain because of Nero being installed on my machine. Crysis is the first I can remember. I had to uninstall Nero to run the game. Talk about taking it to the extreme.

While I do understand that EA and Ubisoft want to minimize the "losses" from piracy, this is an extremely radical solution that is basically hurting their customers, and not the ones they intended it to be used against.