3ds Max.. why so hated??

eXoduis

:confused:

Why cant i find long explained tutorials for making a custom sword mod for oblivion... there is only blender... i only know how to use 3ds max??

Any kind spirit ready to make one, or link me to one?

:confused:

Why cant i find long explained tutorials for making a custom sword mod for oblivion... there is only blender... i only know how to use 3ds max??

Any kind spirit ready to make one, or link me to one?

Most modders around here use Blender becasue it's more accesible (freeware), not because they hate it. I use 3ds Max and have to say that you either didn't look hard enough or were too narrow in your research. There are many good tutorials out there:

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Category:Modeling_Tutorials

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/Category:Tutorials

If they are not detailed enough, just read a more thorough Blender tutorial to understand what steps are necessary. If the problem is not Oblivion-specific, simply search for a more general tutorial.

Hope that helps. If you really can't find a solution to a problem, feel free to ask me directly. I might be able to help.

Ok.. its not i dont understand the Blender tutorials.. its just i do not know HOW to use it..

Ill have a look throught them

If i make a mod ill credit you for you help :3

Ok.. its not i dont understand the Blender tutorials.. its just i do not know HOW to use it..

Ill have a look throught them

If i make a mod ill credit you for you help :3

I didn't mean that you shouldn't use 3ds max. Quite the opposite. If you already own it, by all means, use it! But if a tutorial for one software is bad you can always read a similar yet better tutorial for another software and try to replicate it in your own software. That is, if you know how to.

The main reason why there aren't many basic tutorials out there for 3dsmax is because it's an expensive, professional program, and both Autodesk and 3dsmax users just 'LOVE' to charge people for training classes and tutorials. If you have a non-student version, you should have basic modding and operation tutorials that came with the program. The only things which are specific for Oblivion are things like collision, animating, and weighting, and there are several tutorials for that.

In the case of weapons, really, all the 3d program is needed for is to create the mesh, texture it, and to export it as a .nif format mesh. You MUST still swap out the mesh portion of an existing weapon to replace it with your own within nifscope in order for the weapon to work. In many cases, armor is much the same way. Only statics, activators, and new creature meshes (with skeletons) can be used directly after being exported. Almost everything else needs either adjustment in nifscope or to use mesh replacement.

umm i see many thanks...

i just own a 3ds Max 6 copy thats all

edit:sorry.. that is a genuine copy

Max 6 might be too low a version to work with the export plugins. Not entirely sure. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure you can do stuff for Morrowind, and learn most of the basics there.

umm i see many thanks...

i just own a 3ds Max 6 copy thats all

edit:sorry.. that is a genuine copy

Max 6 might be too low a version to work with the export plugins. Not entirely sure. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure you can do stuff for Morrowind, and learn most of the basics there.

Mhh one of the plug ins i found worked for max 6 and earlier.. but thanks for the thumbs up.. i cant really afford to buy Morrowind at the moment... and as i respect Beth Soft (and anyway its againt my principiles) i WONT be a pirate , no thank you :blush:

Nobody said anything about pirating. Such things are not assumed around here because if we get wind of pirates, they are made to walk the plank. :pirate:

If there are problems with export tools for your 3D modeling program, there have been many that learned Blender well enough to import the object they made in a different program in order to export it to NIF format with the features that are impossible to make in other tools...such as collision objects

LHammonds

Ok.. maybe its time to dump max and go for the all rounder Blender..

And about pirating its the way i said i wasn't sure how to say i had a genuine version (when i said a copy of 3d max i thought some body would take it the wrong way)...

remember English isn't my first language...