English - Official Language of the World ?

AncientSpaceAeon

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible ?

• Possible
    • Possible, but extremely hard.
    • Impossible
  2. 2. Do you think it will happen ?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Is it a good thing or a bad thing ?

• Good thing
    • Don't effect much
    • Bad thing

No producers will sign a contract with you, if you use your native laguage

Why do these arguments seem to always come back to big business?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No producers will sign a contract with you, if you use your native laguage

Why do these arguments seem to always come back to big business?

Don´t ask me, ask the producers

EDIT: We have made business ever since we became mobile, therefore needed to speak together :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Yes English is truly not the most spoken language in the world. But I agree to make it the Worlds Official Language.

For me it really does'nt matter what language will be the official one. As long as we have a Communication "Catalyst". The Chinese Mandarin could also be a candidate, but I would not prefer it, for reason of its being to hard to speak and we have to adjust from the current alphabeth to characters. Not to mention all the phonetics we have to adjust with. Spanish (as second or third) could be a better candidate, but again I prefer English since we are already adapted to it here in the forum and anywhere else.

The world needs a "central communication code" for us to understand each other. It could be any language. And currently we have English, I supposed it'll do. Perhaps in the future, it could change.

In every parcel of our history in the past our anscestors really try to make a "common" language for reason of diplomacy, allegiance, Trade (most importantly), Religion, and all other inter-national communications. If I'm not mistaken the Greeks, started it, then the Romans (Latin), And (perhaps) now English. I'm not really so familiar with Language Evolution/History, but I supposed many of our English and Spanish Terminologies derived from Latin.

So going back to the question - English as Official Language? My answer is = YES (it is better than no common language at all.)

Imagine if we don't communicate in English in this forum - I would need a translator to join you... which, would be a hustle and I will definitely not do.

I also take into consideration all Native Languages = Everybody/We must preserve it. It is the only language that identify us from the rest of the world.

It won't be bad at all but it can make other language extinct and some of those languages are almost extince since there are only a dozen who know it. Just if you want to learn a second language it would not be easy.

Not necessarily. Look at India and parts of Africa. Although the country and region may have a national language, they also have dozens, if not hundreds of local languages and dialects. Although one can argue that the remoteness of those areas might be a contributing factor, Cockney doesn't seem to have a problem in retaining its influence despite being based around one of the major cities of the world and being totally unintelligible to most outside the country.

P.S.

why English? I mean, it has it's uses but it's the "pirate's" language, pretty simplified, making lyrics is hard and poetry is only good when aimed at Shakespeare, I'm sure if humans want to change their language to one unified, they will choose a better one I believe.

REALLY? Errr...you REALLY think Shakespeare was the only English language poet with any talent? I am sure that Chaucer, Spenser, Donne, Keats, Burns, Byron, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Longfellow, Yeats, Auden, Thomas, etc, etc, are rolling in their graves to hear that. There is a rich and ongoing English language poetic tradition.

Making lyrics in it is hard? Sure, that's why G F Handel, a German, wrote so much music that was destined to be sung in English. We have a very strong choral tradition in the UK, for some reason, especially in former mining areas like my own, which of itself suggests that there is plenty for us to sing. Tomorrow night at Mass, I will be singing the psalm "My God, my god, look upon me, why hast thou forsaken me?" in English, to a tune by the world renowned English composer Henry Purcell.

And of course, you can't escape the fact that most popular music, of whatever genre, tends to be sung in...wait for it...ENGLISH, irrespective of the nationality of the artiste. It seems that the choice is already being made

(Before you ask, I also sing in Latin, French, German and sometimes Italian myself....)

oh wait you didn't get my point there, what English people love about English poets was not my point, I aimed at foreign people at English poets, per say, I am using the internet for 5 years and used lots of links and resources, I love English, so I wanted to know more about literature, but from all the works I've read (Thomas Hardy, William Blake, Robert Browning etc.) The Most Intriguing for Me was Shakespeare, not the only one with talent [Facepalm]. I as one with artistic feelings, being poet half ling myself, can get intrigued by anything, now comparing what I liked to the Average foreign Joe, I believe that the one that gets them researching is Shakespeare.

Singing in English, is widely accepted because of it's simplicity, I can turn a "I Love you from the bottom of my heart..." to a cultural Icon by moving my mouth correctly, and that is easily done in English (not that the above phrase will get me famous by changing the syllables lol, just as a generalized example). now for languages like Farsi, which I speak, songs with lyrics that have no philosophical meaning are considered trash and thrown to the underground with teenagers.

about the most popular language musical instruments are sung in, I have no Idea. my information about this ends with this sentence.

although I must say I think you felt insulted by some of the joke-realities I said in the previous post, my apologies for any offense.

back on topic:

So going back to the question - English as Official Language? My answer is = YES (it is better than no common language at all.)

Imagine if we don't communicate in English in this forum - I would need a translator to join you... which, would be a hustle and I will definitely not do.

you know, there are always some rebels, and rebels that feel nationalist are trouble on large scale. if the Thinks-he-is-world-dominating United Nations, declares English as the official language of the world (more likely Language Par Excellence) for example, only western nations would approve even if they do want to, maybe there are some exceptions, but on large scale, Not possible.

you see, we don't have much problem communicating right now without any official language But With an International Language, which is English. I for one don't see any reason in making it official to call for trouble. there is some difference between Official and International per say.

We mix English and Romanian words when we talk to each other, especialy those born after 1989. We use English words like: funny, cool, weekend and so on daily. I think it's both good and bad, depending on how you look at it.

Same happens here, but the date should change to 1992.

then again it is only a period of history, to my knowledge, in areas around Europe and Asia minor, 2500 years ago Persian was International, 250 years later Latin (Greek) is international, 700 years later Arabic is international, then French and later English, although my knowledge in this period is very limited.

It won't be bad at all but it can make other language extinct and some of those languages are almost extince since there are only a dozen who know it. Just if you want to learn a second language it would not be easy.

Not necessarily. Look at India and parts of Africa. Although the country and region may have a national language, they also have dozens, if not hundreds of local languages and dialects. Although one can argue that the remoteness of those areas might be a contributing factor, Cockney doesn't seem to have a problem in retaining its influence despite being based around one of the major cities of the world and being totally unintelligible to most outside the country.

I agree. We definitely have the same situation here in the archipelago (Philippines) we too have hundreds of dialect variations although we have Tagalog as our national language. I myself is speaking Cebuano, Illongo, Waray, Karai-a, Akyanon, and of course Tagalog. So I can understand and speak 11 variations of our dialects and most of us knew how to speak Tagalog and English too. And I don't see any problem regarding some languages dominating our dialect and making them extinct. They did not become extinct, I assure you.

@ lhoe

you know, there are always some rebels, and rebels that feel nationalist are trouble on large scale. if the Thinks-he-is-world-dominating United Nations, declares English as the official language of the world (more likely Language Par Excellence) for example, only western nations would approve even if they do want to, maybe there are some exceptions, but on large scale, Not possible.

you see, we don't have much problem communicating right now without any official language But With an International Language, which is English. I for one don't see any reason in making it official to call for trouble. there is some difference between Official and International per say.

You know, you certainly have a point in there. Perhaps we should leave it as it is, than making it the official Language and create "International Disputes". The term International Language will really do.

Ok it's Official then, English as the International Language, but not an Official Language. :smile:

We're no decision makers to make anything official in a networked system that has no office at all and that knows of merely one consensual 'commandment' - the prohibition of the argumentum ad hominem.

Moreover, the international forums and lists are just a facet in the game. Still the national counterparts play an important role (to discuss about tulips I need no international list...) - so it is almost impossible to communicate e.g. on German TES forums in a foreign (colored) language, either you'll find yourself in a small talk greetings niche or you remain outsider - alien due to your strange 'German'.

Guess we're the generation on the linguistic edge. The next one knows more and everything much better.

http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_unknownauthor_lady.gif לילית